Levain Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is a homemade version of the famous Levain Bakery cookies. Delicious giant chocolate chip cookies with a crispy outside and gooey inside, these cookies are the best ever!
Levain Cookies are a giant thick chocolate chip cookie that is claimed to be the world’s greatest chocolate chip cookie. Its thick and bakes at a high temperature to give the outside a crusty crispy outside shell and keep the inside nice and gooey!
The original levain bakery cookies are 6 oz, and are as big as your hand, gigantic cookies. I like making mine about 3oz instead because they are still HUGE, but now the recipe makes twice as many cookies, which is perfect for sharing, and keeps the cookies a little more manageable so you don’t mind eating the whole thing at once.
Weigh out the cookie dough on a digital food scale, or scoop the dough evenly into 15 or 16 dough balls.
This levain bakery chocolate chip cookie recipe is adapted from a few different recipes I found online, firstly from A Bountiful Kitchen. I always make the cookies with just chocolate chips (and no walnuts) to keep them perfectly chocolatey throughout, but check out Si’s recipe if you like walnuts as well!
Now, I want complete honesty, I’ve actually never tried a Levain cookie! I know I know 🙁 Its on my food bucket list, but we have a local cookie place that also makes 6oz giant gooey chocolate chip cookies that is modeled after Levain. I’ve adapted my recipe to be a little like theirs by using only Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips, but the original Levain chocolate chip cookies use semi sweet chocolate instead. Adapt the recipe to your preference!
If you have or haven’t tried the original New York City cookies, you need to make these cookies at home! Even if you live in NYC you can now make these at home, without spending 4$ a cookie and standing in line for who knows how long!
Mini Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter (cold, unsalted, two sticks)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups chocolate chips
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your butter into slices.
- Place butter slices into a large mixing bowl and beat with mixer (stand mixer is preferred if you have it - use the paddle attachment) until it starts to smooth.
- Add in the sugars and beat for about 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Add in the eggs and beat until just incorporated.
- Dump in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix on low speed until the wet and dry ingredients are combined.
- Pour in the chocolate chips and pulse the mixture 7 or 8 times until they are mixed evenly throughout the batter.
- Measure out the batter to be 3 to 3.5 oz, grabbing and placing the dough with your hands. Don't pack it or roll the dough into a tight ball.
- Place 6 cookies per cookie sheet. (A silicone liner works great)
- Place in the oven to bake for about 8 minutes, or until the cookie top and bottom are golden.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the pan for about 10 minutes. (I know you'll want to bite into them sooner, but be patient or the cookie will fall apart.)
- Store cookies in an airtight container, or ziplock bag for 1-2 days.