These Oreo cupcakes are a delicious indulgent dessert with a cookies and cream cupcake packed with Oreo pieces and topped with a heavenly Oreo buttercream. These cupcakes are a great choice for parties, potlucks, or just when you need a treat.
Homemade Oreo cupcakes are a delicious combination of two beloved treats, Oreo cookies, and cupcakes. These easy to make, but indulgent cupcakes are the perfect dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth and are sure to be a hit at any gathering or celebration.
These cupcakes feature a moist vanilla cupcake base that is loaded with chunks of Oreo cookies in practically every bite. They are then topped with a smooth and creamy Oreo buttercream frosting, and a half an Oreo cookie on top for good measure. The combination of the vanilla cupcake, and Oreo filled frosting gives these cupcakes the perfect cookies and cream flavor.
They are a moist, fluffy cupcake, that is a treat for any Oreo lovers, and will be perfect for your next dessert.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Oreo Cupcake Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- all purpose flour – this recipe is made with all purpose flour to keep it easy
- baking powder – this makes the cupcakes nice and fluffy
- salt – balances out the flavor
- unsalted butter – we use unsalted butter in all our recipes, if you want to use salted cut the salt in the batter in half
- granulated sugar – this sweetens up the cupcakes
- egg whites – this recipe uses just egg whites, you can use the whole egg and skip the sour cream if you want
- sour cream – you can also substitute this with yogurt
- vanilla extract – this adds a nice flavor
- buttermilk – this keeps the cupcakes extra moist
- Oreo cookies – cut into nice chunks for the batter, and a crumb for the frosting
- powdered sugar – this is also known as confectioners sugar.
- heavy cream – this gives the frosting a nice creamy consistency.
How to make Oreo Cupcakes?
- Make the Oreo cupcakes. Pre-heat oven, and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and stir them together.
- Add the butter, and granulated sugar to a large bowl (the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment works great, but a hand mixer works too) and beat them together until they are light and fluffy, at least 2 minutes.
- Then add in the egg whites, sour cream, and vanilla extract, mixing until they are just combined. Make sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as you’re mixing them.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the batter and stir it until just combined. Then add in the buttermilk until it is combined. Add in the remaining flour mixture and mix until the batter is smooth, but do not overmix the batter.
- Add the Oreo pieces and carefully fold it into the batter. You want to mix it in evenly into the batter, but don’t want to stir to much as you don’t want the batter to turn grey.
- Fill each of the cupcake liners 2/3 to 3/4 full, filling one muffin pan with twelve spots evenly with the cupcake batter.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven until the cupcake tops are lightly golden, and a toothpick can be inserted into the center of the cupcakes and comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting. Beat the butter until smooth, then add in the powdered sugar and mix it into the butter. Add in the cream, vanilla extract, and salt and mix it together until you have a fluffy frosting. Blend the Oreo crumbs in a food processor until they are fine crumbs. Add in the Oreo crumbs and mix them evenly into the frosting.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with your favorite tip. Pipe the frosting onto top the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle a few more Oreo crumbs over the top of the frosting and add half an Oreo to the top of the cupcake. A mini Oreo cookie on top works too.
Tips and Tricks:
- Let your ingredients sit at room temperature to warm up before using, eggs, butter, and buttermilk for the best results. This will help your ingredients mix together smoothly.
- Properly measure the flour using the spoon and sweep method to prevent over measuring, which could lead to dry cupcakes.
- Only mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients until just combined. Over mixing could lead to dense cupcakes.
- If you don’t have buttermilk you can substitute whole milk, or make your own buttermilk substitute by adding a teaspoon of vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk.
- Chop the Oreo cookies up for the cupcake batter. You want there to be decent sized chunks of Oreo cookies to enjoy for the nice texture and flavor in the cookies and cream cupcakes.
- You alternatively want the Oreo cookies to be in very small pieces for the Oreo frosting so the pieces don’t get stuck in your piping tip.
- Try a cream cheese frosting base instead of a vanilla buttercream base.
How to store cupcakes?
The cupcakes can be stored when they are frosted at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days at room temperature. Or for 5 days in the fridge.
The cupcakes can also be stored unfrosted in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can also store the frosting in the freezer. Let them both thaw in the fridge overnight, then let the frosting warm to room temperature – whip the frosting up again until fluffy and frost the cupcakes as desired.
This Oreo cupcake recipe is definitely a winner. They have a great vanilla flavor, are loaded with Oreo pieces, and topped with the best Oreo frosting. They’re a dream come true and perfect for your next special occasion.
More cupcake recipes:
- Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
- French Toast Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Better than Sex Cupcakes
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Biscoff Cupcakes
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 TBS vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped Oreos
For the Frosting:
- 16 Oreo cookies (divided)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 TBS heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a standard muffin pan with muffin liners, set the pan aside.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium sized bowl and whisk them together. Set them aside.
- In a large bowl, add the granulated sugar, and butter and mix them together with an electric mixer (a stand mixer or hand mixer) for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the egg whites, sour cream, and vanilla extract and mix them in until they are just combined. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add in half the dry ingredients, and mix until mostly combined.
- Add in the buttermilk and mix until combined. The batter may look curdled, but that's okay.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients, and mix until combined.
- Add in the chopped Oreos and gently fold them into the batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners each about 3/4 full, filling the 12 spots evenly.
- Bake the cupcakes for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs.
- Let the cupcakes cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- This is based on my Oreo frosting recipe.
- Add 10 of the Oreo cookies to a food processor and blend them up until they are a fine crumb. Set them aside.
- Add the butter to a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or large mixing bowl with a handheld mixer. Beat it for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing on low speed until each cup is mixed in completely. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add in the heavy cream (start with 3 TBS), vanilla extract, and salt and mix on medium speed until everything is well combined.
- Mix the frosting for another 2 to 3 minutes at medium speed until the frosting is smooth and fluffy. Add a little more powdered sugar, or heavy cream as needed to get the right consistency.
- Add the Oreo cookie crumbs to the frosting and mix it into the frosting evenly.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag or zip lock bag with your favorite tip (with a wide mouth) and pipe it onto the cupcakes.
- Cut the remaining Oreos in half, and place one half on to the top of each cupcake with frosting.