Moist, rich, chocolate cupcakes, easy homemade cupcakes.
We’ve shared a recipe for simple yellow cupcakes, so of course at some point we would need a recipe for chocolate cupcakes too, right? This recipe makes the perfect chocolate cupcakes. They’re moist and rich and chocolatey. What more could you want in a cupcake, right?
Well with just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry you can whip up these chocolate cupcakes in just a short time. Then you can top them with your choice of frosting, homemade or store bought or whatever you like.
Recipe adapted from the Big Book of Cupcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine your flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set bowl aside.
- In a small bowl combine your hot water and your cocoa powder and stir till smooth. Set bowl aside.
- In a large bowl beat your butter until it starts to get creamy.
- Slowly pour in your sugar, scraping the bowl occasionally. Beat for 2 minutes after sugar is all incorporated.
- One at a time, mix in your eggs. Then your vanilla. Mixing well after each addition.
- Alternate adding in your flour mixture and your chocolate until everything is just blended.
- Pour your batter evenly into muffin cups lined with paper liners. Fill 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes then remove to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Frost with your choice of frosting.
Enjoy these perfectly chocolatey cupcakes topped with your choice of frosting for a delicious treat!