Recipe update 11/24/18
Persimmon Chocolate Chip Cookies are a fruity cookie made from persimmon puree, a dash of cinnamon, flavorful craisins, and chocolate chips.
Persimmon chocolate chip cookies are so good with this perfect flavor combination of chocolate chips, craisins, chopped pecans, and cinnamon. You will love all these chunky good ingredients with the persimmon puree. And whether you like persimmons or not or haven’t even tried them before; believe me all these good things together is a GOOD THING.
Do you know what a persimmon is? My first introduction to persimmons was when our family moved to California years ago. Our neighbors brought some persimmons over for us to enjoy; fresh and also in a persimmon pudding. Persimmons ripen in the fall, our sweetheart neighbor Colleen says “if it is Thanksgiving the persimmons are ripe.” Around our area there are two types that grow – the hachiya and fuyu. The hachiya prefers to be pureed and used in breads, puddings, cookies, and sauces. The fuyu can be pureed and used in baked goods but it can also be eaten like an apple – peeled, cut into quarters with the stem removed.
I made these persimmon chocolate chip cookies with some Fuyu persimmons I pureed. It is so easy to puree them. Wash the outside, remove the stem, peel, cut into quarters, and puree a blender. It is that simple. One cup of persimmon puree is added to the persimmon chocolate chip cookies. If you have any puree left, label and freeze in baggies or freezer containers.
These persimmon chocolate chip cookies are so good; you may start searching for persimmons in your produce aisle.
Persimmon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening stick
- 1 cup pureed persimmons*
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup craisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar and shortening
- Add in the pureed persimmons and egg, mix well
- In another mixing bowl combine the flour, soda, salt, and spices
- Shift the flour in with the creamed sugar/shortening/persimmon mix and stir just until combined
- Add the craisins, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans (optional) and stir
- Using a cookie scoop or a couple of tablespoons drop onto baking sheets
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until soft to touch
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack after a couple of minutes
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar
Have you ever eaten a persimmon? What is your favorite thing to make with persimmons?