This is the best pistachio ice cream recipe ever! It’s thick, creamy, smooth, flavorful and so delicious!
I think pistachio ice cream is one of the most underrated ice cream flavors there is. It’s not a strong flavor, but it’s sweet, and has a little bit of that salty pistachio flavor, and almond flavor through out. It’s always been one of my dad’s favorite ice cream flavors as well, so I knew it was one I wanted to try for National Ice Cream Day (today!!!) and it turned out amazingly.
I haven’t made homemade ice cream in a while, neither no churn or with the ice cream maker. But I knew I wanted this one to be a custard style ice cream, because it makes it extra creamy! So you will need an ice cream maker for this recipe. This is the one I have had since we first got married, and I just love it!
Let me say that I know that custard style ice cream, with egg yolks in it can be super intimidating, but it’s really not hard to temper the eggs and the ice cream is strained so you can get rid of any egg chunks that may still be there. I love my no churn ice cream recipes, but when I want something really creamy and just like store bought, I go with a custard base like this.
I wish I had a big bowl of this right now. I had a salted caramel pistachio gelato once and it was the best thing ever. So next time I think I’m gonna drizzle this with salted caramel sauce. Mmm!
This is the best pistachio ice cream. It’s creamy, smooth, flavorful and so delicious!
Pistachio Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup salted and shelled pistachios
- 3/4 cup sugar (divided)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Large Mixing Bowl
- In a food processor or high powered blender, grind up the pistachios and 1/4 cup of the sugar until fine (make sure not to blend too long, it will turn into a butter) Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, combine your heavy cream, milk, remaining sugar, and salt. Heat over medium high until your mixture starts to bubble.
- Add the pistachio mixture into the cream mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk your egg yolks.
- Slowly pour ½ cup of your cream mixture into your egg yolks while whisking vigorously. Pour another 1 cup of your cream mixture, ½ cup at a time while whisking the whole time.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the sauce pan with the remaining cream mixture and continue to heat for about 5 minutes until the mixture is thickened a bit, and sticks on the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour and stir in the vanilla and almond extract.
- Put bowl into an ice bath and allow to set for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover bowl and place it in the fridge for about 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Once chilled, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and allow to run according to manufactures instructions (about 30 minutes).
- Pour into a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Cover and transfer to a freezer for 6 hours, up to overnight to freeze solid.
And if you don’t want pistachio ice cream today, try one of these other amazing ice cream recipes! I know you’ll love them all!
Coconut Almond Bars // Tried and Tasty
No Churn Turtle Ice Cream Bars // The Recipe Rebel
No Churn Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream // Dessert Now Dinner Later
No Churn Strawberry Cheesecake Streusel Ice Cream // Life Made Sweeter
Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream // Cupcake Diaries
No Churn Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream // Lemon Tree Dwelling
Honey Cinnamon Ice Cream // One Sweet Appetite
Raspberry Swirled Cheesecake Ice Cream // A Kitchen Addiction
No Churn Chinese Five Spice Ice Cream // Sugar and Soul
No Churn White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream // Garnish and Glaze