Roasting the vegetables brings out the flavor of your vegetables; using summer squash, tomatoes, and red and white onions. Tossing with pasta and Parmesan cheese for a full main dish.
Be prepared for lots of recipes using summer vegetables coming your way. You may feel inundated but I think you will thank me in the long run. Your garden is growing and producing vegetables, my garden is doing the same.
I don’t know about you but I am always looking for a wonderful, flavor bursting, but at least semi-easy recipes to use with my summer vegetables. Pasta with Roasted Summer Vegetables is one of those recipes. Roasting the vegetables brings out so much flavor and goodness, seriously if my mom would have roasted vegetables when I was growing up I would have eaten my vegetables. Instead of just peas and corn on the cob.
So let’s get started. Slice and dice your summer vegetables while the oven heats up. Prepare your pasta while you are roasting the vegetables. Then everything will come together at the end for a flavorful pasta with roasted summer vegetables ready for dinner.
If you don’t want this protein-less, grill up some chicken or shrimp to toss in at the last minute too.
Pasta with Roasted Summer Vegetables
- 8 oz gemelli pasta
- 2 summer squash
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spray a roasting pan or cookie sheet with a little oil olive spray
- Dice the summer squash, tomatoes, onions into 1 inch pieces (try to have them uniform in size)
- Place on pan, drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over all the vegetables
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes
- While vegetables are roasting bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to the package directions
- Drain the pasta and return to pot
- Over low heat, add the butter to the pasta and stir
- Stir the roasted vegetables into the pasta
- Add more salt and pepper if needed
- Mix in the Parmesan cheese
I specifically used summer squash and tomatoes because I wanted their flavors but you could use other summer vegetables like zucchini, peppers, carrots (whatever you have growing) but recognize that will change the flavor.