!– The Pistachio Principle: Fool Yourself Full / Clever Girls Snippet –>
Happy April Fools! Are you playing any tricks on your friends or family members today?! I think April Fools is a fun holiday as long as the jokes are all light hearted. I never really play tricks on anyone else – and I always seem to fall for the “I’m pregnant” tricks that people post on facebook. This April Fool’s Day I’m playing a prank on my appetite, and tricking myself into feeling full by eating pistachios as my snack!
I can fool myself full with inshell pistachios because removing the shells while eating encourages eating slower, and the leftover shells gives me a visual cue about how much I have eaten, helping me to reduce my calorie intake. It also helps that pistachios are one of the lowest calorie nuts and one of the highest in fiber too.
Some other tricks for fooling yourself full for other snacks or meals throughout the day are to
1) Reduce the size of your plates, bowls and glasses. Eating from smaller plates or bowls may help you to fill your plate with less food and so you may eat less and still feel satisfied.
2) Buy smaller portions. Buy individual portioned sized chip bags, or small candy bars instead of family bags. Or try separating your large bags into individual serving sizes and only allowing yourself to eat 1 serving.
3) Drink more water. Drinking water not only helps flush toxins out of your body, it helps to keep you energized and helps your stomach to feel full.
4) Avoid distraction while eating. When we are distracted by television, music or a computer we are much more likely to continue eating longer, and avoiding our stomachs signals that it is full.
5) Fill up on fiber and protein. High fiber foods fill your stomach quickly and help keep you satisfied longer. Protein stays in your body longer than carbohydrates. Pistachios are a great source of both protein and fiber and are a perfect filling snack.
One new combo I liked was eating a small handful of pistachios tossed with a few cranberries and white chocolate chips for the perfect sweet and salty mix!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.