Copycat Texas Road House Rolls

Nate’s brother got married a week ago. The wedding was in southern/central utah so we had a little bit to drive to get there. But it was a beautiful ceremony. The bride and groom both looked absolutely amazing.

After the wedding, lots of pictures and driving back to Orem the family wanted to go to a quick late lunch/early dinner before the reception. The bride and groom wanted to go to Texas Road House, so that’s where we went.

Copy Cat Texas Road House Rolls

Have you been to Texas Road House? To start you off they bring you some of the most amazing rolls in the world. They are covered in butter, so fluffy and delicious and then they give you some honey butter to top them off with.

I had been wanting to make homemade white rolls for a little while now, and after going to Texas Road House I knew that I had to find a copy cat of their rolls. I don’t know if these are exactly like their rolls, but they sure are delicious. And, I’ve got a honey butter recipe coming up to follow soon, that tastes so great on top.

Copy Cat Texas Road House Rolls

Plus, I got this recipe from one of my favorite blogger friends – Allison at Cupcake Diaries, here.

Copycat Texas Road House Rolls

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Ingredients
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 TBS butter
  • 1 TBS active dry yeast (or 1 package)
  • ½ cup warm water
  • ½ cup sugar, divided
  • ½ cup honey
  • about 7.5 cups flour (+ or – up to ½ cup), divided
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp salt
  • butter
Instructions
  1. Put milk in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
  2. Melt your butter in the microwave. Set aside.
  3. Combine yeast, warm water and 1 TBS sugar in a mixing bowl. Allow yeast to bubble.
  4. Add remaining sugar, honey, milk, and 3.5 cups flour to the yeast mixture. Beat together for a couple minutes.
  5. Add butter, eggs and salt and stir well.
  6. Add additional flour ½ cup at a time until dough begins to separate from the sides.
  7. Let rest for a few minutes.
  8. Knead dough for about 5 minutes. Add additional flour by the tablespoon if dough gets sticky.
  9. Remove dough from bowl and grease bowl.
  10. Return dough to bowl and turn it over so it all gets covered in grease.
  11. Loosely cover bowl with plastic wrap.
  12. Allow to rise till doubled in size. About 45 minutes (Depending how warm your house is)
  13. Once the dough has doubled, punch it down for about a minutes.
  14. Roll the dough out till it is about ½ inch thick.
  15. Fold the dough in half, so its now about 1 inch thick and roll over the dough a little to seal the two halves.
  16. Cut the dough into approximately 2 inch squares.
  17. Place dough on a greased baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
  18. Allow to double in size again. About 1 hour.
  19. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.
  20. Immediately rub the tops of the rolls with butter.

Enjoy these rolls plain or topped with honey butter or jam.

Yields: about 3 dozen rolls

These rolls are especially delicious hot out of the oven!

Copy Cat Texas Road House Rolls

Copy Cat Texas Road House Rolls

36 Comments

1. This recipe was my first attempt making bread dough. I followed the recipe exactly as printed. I cannot thank you enough for posting this! They are AMAZING!!! I am making my second batch right now, twice in a week. There are quite a few recipes out there like yours. Your photo just looked so homey & charming I was drawn in immediately. I love these. ThankYou again!

1. Jo, I’m so so glad it turned out for you and you liked it! Thanks so much for letting me know!

2. I did not see this in the reviews: Is the flour self-rising or all purpose?

1. All purpose. Thanks for asking. We always use all purpose unless specifically mentioned otherwise.

3. John English · · Reply

Thank you for this recipe. I live in the Philippines and have not had Texas Roadhouse Rolls for many years. I look forward to tasting them again. I will try your recipe, but I have some questions based on some of the comments.
    Most of the problems people have with baking is the type of yeast to use. The age of the yeast. The temperature of the proofing liquid. The temperature of air when the dough is rising, type of flour?
    Your recipe calls for active dry yeast. But in the response to Cassie on Apr 20, 2014 you said that you use rapid rise yeast. Rapid rise yeast does not need to be proofed, but active dry yeast does. I suspect this is a typo on your part.
    Instant yeast does not need to be proofed but I still do. Proofing the yeast tells you if your yeast is active. Just because the yeast is new is not a guarantee that it is active.
    Rapid rise yeast is impossible to find in my area of the Philippines.
    The biggest problem that I have with baking recipes is that regardless of the type of flour used, the recipes almost never state if the flour is sifted. And if the recipe does say sifted, it does not say if it is sifted before or after measuring. There is a big difference in the final amount of flour.
    In my recipes I measure the flour, sift the flour, then measure again. Then I add the other dry ingredients. Serious bakers weigh the flour. I don’t have a good digital scale so I sift.
    I use active dry yeast, but it is sometimes hard to find. Then I use instant rise yeast which is easier to find. It rises faster, but you will still get a second rise. Rapid rise yeast may not give you a second rise.
    I also use bread flour. I mix 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 tsp of vital wheat gluten to make bread flour.
    In the Philippines yeast comes in bags not pre-measured packets. Therefore I have to measure the yeast by tsp. I store my yeast in the freezer.
    Please comment on how you measure the flour, and if you sift.
    Thanks.

1. I’m sorry to disappoint you, I did not sift or weigh my flour. Otherwise I would have included that in the steps listed. That is when the recipe says about 7.5 cups and plus or minute 1/2 cup depending on your flour…

1. John English · ·

Please, I want to make this very clear. You did not disappoint me at all. In fact your recipe is Spot On. The rolls were great. They didn’t even last until dinner. I didn’t even have time to make a butter/ cinnamon / honey spread. I just brushed some butter on top.
        I cut the 2 inch squares like you said but after the second rise they were up to 4 inches. It is hot here in the Philippines. The rolls did not look great but they tasted great. Next time I will cut the squares smaller.
        The point I am trying to make is that when you have a novice baker they may have old flour, spent yeast. That is the way I was until I retired and had more time to study and learn.
        I would buy flour and have it in the cabinet for 8 – 10 months. When I measured the flour I would just dip the measuring cup into the bag and pack the flour in. All my attempts at making bread were disasters. Way too dense. My yeast was old and spent, I did not know the action of the different yeasts.
        The people that had trouble with your recipe probably did something wrong with the technique unrelated to the recipe.
        I began to standardize my recipes. In most of my recipes I sift the flour then measure it. That means it will take more flour, but it is standardized. For instance, I halved your recipe, sifted and measured. I started with 3 1/2 cups, but ended up with a total of 4 cups of sifted flour.
        We buy about 10 lbs of flour every two weeks, so it is fresh. When flour is old it begins to cake up, and a novice will pack in too much flour. I keep my yeast in the freezer. My yeast is about 1 year old, but it still works. I always proof the yeast to make sure that it is still good.
        I also mix the dry ingredients together first. Then I mix the wet ingredients. Then I combine the two. This is easier for me. I rearranged your recipe to do this and it worked great.
        Your recipe is great, do not change anything. I changed the sequence of the ingredients but not the ingredients.
        The people that have trouble probably just do not know the un-said details.
        I will try more of your recipes.
        Thanks,

4. Eugenia · · Reply

Great recipe, thank you! I made half the recipe, reduced sugar to 2 Tbsp, made dough in the breadmaker as per their instructions (first all liquid ingredients, all the rest on top) and then proceeded as per the recipe. Turned out amazing. Don’t hesitate to use a breadmaker!

1. Thanks for leaving this comment! We have a bread machine and I’m really lazy when it comes to cooking/baking, so I’ll try using the machine. :)

5. Centoria · · Reply

When my rolls are done rising what should I do with rest of the rolls that I don’t need right now? Can I freeze them?

1. I have never frozen this dough. But if I were going to I would freeze the dough after the first rise but before the second. Or I would just cook the rolls and freeze them after they were cooked.

6. I also would like to say a couple things re: the feedback you’ve received.

1.) a ‘packet’ of yeast is about 2 1/4 tspns. I used 3 (or 1tblspn) as the recipe called for. The first rise was perfect and spot on. The second rise was slower…. but the rolls baked up large and puffy in the oven perfectly.

2.) If they aren’t rising completely on the counter or wherever, proof them in the oven that had been heated to 200* and then turn the oven off before putting the rolls in to rise.

3.) Whomever commented about the ‘heat’ of the milk is correct, too hot it will kill the yeast, too cold and it won’t activate. I don’t ‘temp test’ my liquids, but I did proof my active rise yeast before adding it to the rest of the ingredients.

4.) Depending on where you live, rising might act differently. I’m in CO at 6,000+ above sea level. That has been a whole new learning curve for me, being that I’m originally from back east.

5) realize that the Blogger here is doing what works in her kitchen, with her tools and oven, and home. She can’t create the perfect recipe for everyone – but offers a guideline to the BEST of her ability :)

IMHO this was one of the best roll recipes I’ve tried yet – and will definitely be putting this in my ‘To Keep Forever’ file – and not JUST on Pinterest :)

So thank you thank you thank you! <3

7. Delish! I made these yesterday for Easter Dinner and they were a lot of work, but PERFECT. Of course, I realized about halfway in that I was going to have twice as many rolls as I needed…lol soooo the guys at work say “thank you” for the best roll recipe yet :)

8. Cassie Kimler · · Reply

I just made these for Easter tomorrow and they taste delicious however, they did not rise as large as they look in the photos, and looked at all the feedback before making them. I did cut this recipe in half and it made 20 rolls. The main thing I noticed is it says pinch the ends together after you fold it, in which you have to make sure really well all pieces are pinched. I had a few that kind of seperated but just makes it easier for butter to slide in!

1. I’m not sure if the problems people have had with the dough rising, comes from the fast that I usually use rapid rise yeast. I may have to experiment and see how much longer these rolls take to rise with regular rise yeast instead of the rapid rise – cause I’m guessing that is the difference, however I am so glad you liked them anyway!

9. Catherine Montufar · · Reply

Do you use bread flour or all purpose flour?

1. I use all purpose flour in all my recipes, unless otherwise specified :)

10. I made these and followed the recipe exactly, they turned out perfect and soooo good! I wonder if others are adding the milk before it cools enough or not have the right temp for the water. I use a thermometer for all my yeast recipes. Usually between 105 and 115 degrees works best for me. You must space yours farther apart. Mine we’re about 3/4″ apart but after raising they touched, doesn’t effect the taste at all! Thanks for sharing this recipe :-))

11. Hello, I am making these for a date night but we are going to a movie first. Could i prepare the dough so that the last hour could be extended to where they would sit on the pan for 2 hours? put them in a colder place to rise slower? or will they just rise in that hour and stop rising at a certain point, an amateur cook as you can tell, would just like some help with my odd timing.

1. Sorry this may be too late to help you, you may still be fine but sometimes they rise and then deflate I’d they rise too much. I think it’d be okay if it was just the dough rise but for the second rise im not as sure. Let me know if you try it!

12. I just made these rolls and followed the recipe to a T. They are not rising. Then I checked this recipe against other Texas Roadhouse Rolls on Pinterest and found that the others I checked all said 2 packages of Yeast, not the 1 package your recipe calls for. I am very bummed that I did not compare recipes prior to all the work I just put in.

1. Stacy, I am so sorry the dough didn’t rise for you. I looked at several different recipes before choosing one and making these rolls (and adapted it to fit me) but they all have about 2 tsp-4 tsp of yeast in them, so I am not sure where you are finding others with more. However regardless, I am sorry this recipe didn’t turn out for you. Was your house at all cold? Was your yeast old? Those are both two things I can think of why the yeast wouldn’t react correctly or as quickly as it should.

1. Thanks for the response. The yeast packets only have 2 tsp in them so 4tsp would be 2 packets.
        My house isn’t extremely warm but I had them in a bathroom with the heater on and door shut for the rising times. And the yeast was brand new. It was a different brand than I’ve used before so before I try the recipe again I will get the brand I’ve previously used but I will use at least 2 packets. This particular yeast called for 3 packets for one recipe of bread dough on its package and only 3 cups of flour-though I didnt think yeast had different strengths perhaps it does.

13. Can I make it in the bread maker?

1. Erica, I have never worked with a bread maker before so I don’t know how this recipe would work in one. If you try it, please let me know how it works for you!

14. Beth R · · Reply

According to the Red Star Yeast conversion webpage that much flour requires 2 packages of yeast which is not a tablespoon. There are 3 teaspoons in 1 tablespoon which would be 1 package plus part of a seond. I think Ill follow the experts …Red Star.. and use 2 packages of yeast.

1. Beth, different types of bread recipes will require different amounts of yeast, so it seems difficult to me to have a conversion chart just based on the amount of flour. I do know that 1 package is not exactly 1 TBS, but I have never had problems with using the extra 3/4 tsp of yeast in anything I’ve made.

Nevertheless, let me know how these rolls turn out for you with the extra yeast. I’m sure they will be extra extra light and fluffy!

15. Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later! · · Reply

Did I tell you that I think these look absolutely perfect?! They do! I want one! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #18!

~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!

16. Oh my gosh! I love texas road house rolls. I like to go eat dinner there just for the rolls. I am going to be pinning these and trying them out!

17. cookingwithcurls · · Reply

I LOVE their rolls…they are so good! Thank you so much for the recipe :)

18. Nom. Strangely I am in TX now and no Texas Roadhouse nearby, miss it! Used to go to that Orem one all the time. Have to try these, they look delish~~

19. Are you supposed to add the honey?

1. Thanks for catching that Heidi. I edited the recipe accordingly, but you add the honey when you add the rest of the sugar.

20. Those look so good!! I want one right now. I’m so glad you liked the recipe!!

21. I LOVE Texas Roadhouse rolls—can’t find them here on the East Coast where I live! We would love for you to share at our first Super Summer Saturday party

Thanks!
    Julie

22. wow I just ate but now you’ve got me craving rolls. definitely pining

We love hearing from you! Leave a comment and let us know what you think, or if you have any questions! We will try and respond as quickly as we can!