This baked apple overnight french toast is the perfect way to have a delicious breakfast ready for you in the morning. It’s got the perfect cinnamon and apple flavors in every bite.
This delicious overnight french toast casserole is bursting with the perfect cinnamon and apple flavors throughout. It’s perfect for breakfast or brunch when you have a little time, but want something with very little actual work.
The baked apple french toast is soft inside, with just a little bit of crunch around the edges. I’m already dreaming about the next time I’m going to make it.
I love overnight french toast because you can prepare, and assemble it all the night before and then just throw it in the oven the next morning for a delicious hot breakfast. Yes, it takes a little preparation, but it can all be done the night before you want to eat it (after your kids go to bed 😉 ), and then you just need to plan that it takes one hour of baking time the next day.
Because you prepare this the day before it’s perfect for serving up for a special event or holiday breakfast or brunch. How good would this be for New Year’s Eve Day, Thanksgiving morning, you name it. Just let it bake up while you’re cooking some bacon, eggs, and whatever else you want to pair it with.
This baked apple french toast was inspired by Favorite Family Recipes Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole.
How to make overnight baked apple french toast casserole?
Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray. Don’t forget! I did once and it took a long time to soak and scrub the pan clean. Slice your french break into 1 to 1 1/2 inch slices and lay them inside of your prepared pan.
In a large bowl, add your eggs and beat them with a whisk. Add in the milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and apple sauce and stir till you have a nice custard. Pour the custard over the bread in the pan.
Peel, core, and dice your apples and sprinkle the pieces over the top of the bread. Sprinkle the nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar over the top. Cover it all with foil, and place in the fridge overnight.
When you’re ready to bake it up the next morning. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 45 – 60 minutes until a knife can be inserted in the middle and comes out mostly clean and the top is crisp.
Serve slices of the baked apple french toast hot from the oven with your choice of toppings.
And the apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg flavors are perfect for enjoying in the fall or winter. I’m just drooling thinking about how much I love this smell wafting through my house as it bakes.
This overnight baked apple french toast is perfect topped with some powdered sugar, maple syrup, buttermilk syrup, caramel syrup, or whipped cream, and some fresh fruit would be delicious too. It’s going to be a huge hit with your family, and is perfect for when you want a tasty hot breakfast without a lot of effort.
Looking for more Breakfast or Brunch Recipes?
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Pumpkin Crepes
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast
- Pecan Sticky Buns
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Crescent Roll
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Baked Apple French Toast Casserole
- 1 lb loaf French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. vanilla
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 3 apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking oil (don't miss this part, I forgot to and it took quite a bit of soaking and scrubbing to clean up afterwards).
- Slice your loaf of French bread into 1 1/2 inch slices and lay them flat inside your pan.
- Add the eggs to a medium sized mixing bowl, and whisk them smooth.
- Add milk, 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla, and applesauce. Stir till they are mixed well.
- Pour the custard over the bread.
- Peel, core, and dice your apples.
- Sprinkle your apples all over the top of the bread.
- Sprinkle the nutmeg, cinnamon, brown, and white sugar over the top of the bread and apples.
- Cover with foil and set in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the pan to bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown and french toast is cooked throughout. About 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve warm with your choice of syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream, fruit, etc.
This baked apple french toast was first posted on May 27, 2012. Photos updated on September 23, 2020.