Banana bread cinnamon rolls have the perfect taste of banana throughout the soft and fluffy rolls. Topped with an amazing cream cheese frosting!
I don’t know about you, but I love banana. These banana bread cinnamon rolls might be my new favorite cinnamon roll! They have just the right amount of banana throughout the rolls.
Banana bread + cinnamon rolls. It doesn’t get much better than that, and if you love banana bread like I do, then I think you will love these sweet rolls too. With 1 cup of mashed banana added to the dough these rolls have the perfect taste of banana throughout a soft and tender and delicious sweet roll. Topped with a cream cheese icing, these rolls are seriously irresistible.
These rolls start with the same dough base as my favorite cinnamon rolls. I’ve used this dough time and time again, and its so soft and tender and fluffy. These are the best cinnamon rolls! These rolls are rolled up with a sweet brown sugar and cinnamon mixture in the middle. You can also add chopped up nuts if you want to, it adds a nice texture to the rolls, but they are great without them too.
After the rolls bake up you’ll top them with the best cream cheese frosting. The cream cheese has the perfect tanginess, it contrasts so nicely with the sweet roll.
Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 package)
- 3/4 cup warmed milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, softened)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large bananas)
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups flour start with 4 1/2 cups and add a little more at a time as needed until dough is no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS cinnamon
For the Maple Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.
- Add in the sugar, butter, salt, eggs, banana, and flour (Start with 4 /12 cups of flour and add a little more at a time as needed) and mix well.
- Once the dough starts to come away from the edges, continue to knead the dough for about 5 minutes (If you are using your hands, dust them with flour to avoid sticking) until a large ball is formed.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and allow to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the dough is double in size.
- Lightly flour the counter top.
- Roll the dough out until it is approximately 16x21 inches and 1/4 inch thick.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Spread butter over the surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture generously over the surface of the dough.
- Carefully roll the dough from the long top edge to the bottom edge.
- Using a thread, or a sharp knife cut the dough into 1 - 1 1/2 in slices.
- Lightly grease a baking pan or two.
- Place rolls in the baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the tops turn a light golden color.
- While they are baking combine frosting ingredients. Add more powdered sugar if the frosting is too runny, or a little more milk if it is too thick.
- Remove rolls from the oven and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese until soft.
- Add in the butter and until smooth.
- Add in the maple syrup and powdered sugar and continue to blend until the frosting is smooth. (Add more powdered sugar, or a little milk if needed to get the right texture).
- Apply frosting generously to the tops of the rolls.