This BBQ Ranch Dressing is a semi-homemade dressing that is packed full of flavor. It’s smoky, tangy, and creamy and so good for topping your favorite salad, sandwiches, burgers, or dipping your fries or vegetables.
This BBQ Ranch Dressing is a great way to elevate so many foods, in just a few minutes. The dressing is semi-homemade and only need 5 simple ingredients to kick up the flavor on your favorite salads, pasta salads, sandwiches, and more.
It’s a simple recipe that is the perfect blend of smoky flavor from the barbecue sauce, and a nice creaminess from the mayonnaise and sour cream. It’s smooth, creamy, and so delicious!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this BBQ Ranch Dressing Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- sour cream
- barbecue sauce – I like Sweet Baby Ray Sauce, but use your favorite bbq sauce brand, or homemade bbq sauce
- ranch seasoning mix – I use Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning, but a homemade seasoning would work great too
How to make Barbecue Ranch Dressing?
Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk them together with a wire whisk until combined. Taste dressing and adjust any ingredients or seasonings according to your preferences. Add more buttermilk if you want your dressing thinner.
Place the dressing in the fridge for an hour or two if you want the flavors to meddle together nicely. If you do this, give it a few good stirs before serving.
Tips and Tricks:
- Adjust the thickness of the dressing by adding more or less buttermilk. For a thicker dipping sauce use less buttermilk, for a pourable dressing use a bit more.
- Swap out the sour cream for an equal amount of plain Greek yogurt for a healthier option. This will be protein rich, and lower calorie, but have a higher tangy flavor.
- Make the dressing a bit sweeter by adding 1-2 TBS of honey to the dressing to make it a Honey Barbecue Ranch Dressing.
- Add a bit of spice by adding 1-2 Tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce to your dressing, according to your own preferences.
- Add 1 teaspoon of additional seasonings like chili powder, garlic powder, or onion powder for flavor if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to store Dressing?
Store the homemade BBQ Ranch Dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can store it in a mason jar with a tight lid. This dressing should not be frozen.
Can I make this dressing in advance?
Definitely! The flavors of the dressing get even better when you let them meld together in the fridge for an hour or two before serving. Check the thickness of the dressing before serving and add more milk or buttermilk to thin out the dressing before serving.
What can I use BBQ Ranch Dressing for?
This dip is incredibly versatile, you can use this zesty dressing in a number of different ways, here are some favorites:
- Salad Dressing – my favorite is a quick BBQ chicken salad with grilled chicken, black beans, corn, red onions, and tomatoes.
- French Fries
- Chicken Strips or Chicken Nuggets
- Chicken Sandwiches
- Raw Veggies (Carrots, Bell Peppers, Cucumber, Broccoli, etc)
- Grilled Vegetables (Bell pepper, Squash, Asaparagus)
- Grilled Chicken Breast
- Grilled Steak
- Roasted Potatoes or Baked Potatoes
- Chicken Wings
This easy BBQ Ranch sauce has the perfect balance of tangy, creamy, and smokey flavors. It’s bound to become a new staple in your home, whether you’re hosting a summer barbecue, enjoying a fresh salad, or looking to elevate your eating – the possibilities are endless.
More dressing recipes:
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Lemon Dijon Dressing
- Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing
- Tahini Recipe
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
BBQ Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 6 TBS buttermilk (+ or – 2 TBS)
- 1 TBS ranch seasoning mix
- Add all the ingredients to a medium sized bowl and whisk them together until smooth and combined.
- Add more buttermilk if you want the sauce to be thinner and more pourable.
- Cover dressing and place it in the fridge for an hour to let the flavors meddle.
- Serve on your choice of salad, sandwiches, chicken, chips, veggies, etc.