A fresh spinach salad with blackberries, apples, sugar snap peas, topped with goat cheese and almonds and fresh blackberry vinaigrette.
I am not the grocery shopper in our family. I used to be and actually it used to be one of my favorite activities. I didn’t even mind taking my children when they lived at home. But a couple of years ago Craig became the grocery shopper. His takeover happened for a variety of reasons – on his commute home he would stop at Costco for gasoline and text me to see if we needed anything, I started to work full-time, I became my mom’s caretaker for the last few months of her life, I had surgery and was on bed rest for a few weeks, it just became the norm.
But last week I had a day off work (jury duty – that only lasted half a day) and I did the grocery shopping. It became a small comedy of errors. I thought I had a list, at least a mental list, plus the coupons. I walked up and down the aisles; filled my basket with fruits and vegetables, milk, and various other things. On to checkout, the lines were not particularly long, a couple of carts before mine and then I remember another item we were out of. I pulled out of line, maneuvered through the crowds, and grabbed the item. Back to the checkout lines, waiting a minute or two, and then oh oh – I forgot toothpaste. Ugh…. back out again, grab the toothpaste, and back in the line. Luckily they did not grow any longer only 2 or 3 carts in front of me still. Done, finally. Apparently I am not used to shopping, but no worries. All is good.
Why do I tell you this? Well, somehow our Costco had blackberries and I bought them. I don’t know where they are growing blackberries in the middle of the winter but I don’t care.
These blackberries were sweet and fresh. Just the perfect addition to a healthy and delightful salad – blackberry apple salad – to be exact.
And topped with a blackberry vinaigrette you make yourself. We have already had blackberry apple salad with blackberry vinaigrette twice this week. Twice! So glad we did, and so glad I went grocery shopping and picked up blackberries.
Blackberry Apple Salad
- 3 cups spinach (washed)
- 2 cups romaine (washed and torn into bite size)
- 1 cup blackberries (washed)
- 1 medium apple (cored and diced)
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas (ends removed and cut to 1/2 size)
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sweet and savory almonds (chopped)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries (rinsed)
- 2 TBS rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup Mediterranean Oil (a blend of canola, olive, and grapeseed oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp pearl onion (minced)
- 2 TBS honey
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
- In a large salad bowl add your spinach and romaine lettuce
- Layer on top sugar snap peas, apples, and blackberries
- Sprinkle goat cheese all over the top
- Top with chopped sweet and savory almonds
- Serve with blackberry vinaigrette
- Add all ingredients in a blender
- Blend until combined, about 30 seconds at a time - scraping down the sides as needed
- Add more salt and pepper if needed, add more honey if you want it sweeter
- Serve either at room temperature or chilled
- Drizzle over a fresh salad
- Refrigerator any leftover
Don’t forget to top this salad with these sweet and savory almonds.