Since it is National Ice Cream Day on July 21 and National Ice Cream Month the whole month of July, I needed to make some ice cream today. I searched pinterest for a recipe I had all the ingredients for. I found a Blackberry Ice Cream recipe that looked and sounded delicious and I had blackberries! (Sorry but I forgot to keep the original post and now I can’t find it.) It was almost difficult to choose to make ice cream today though because “sunny” Southern California isn’t so sunny today and I really felt more like hot chocolate. It was even “rainy” Southern California which isn’t too good when you are in the middle of putting on a new roof. (Ack!) This ice cream is smooth and creamy and didn’t feel as “cold” as some ice creams, it ended up being perfect to top the day off. But maybe I will be having hot chocolate in the morning to warm me from the brisk air before my daily walk.
Blackberry Ice Cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup blackberries (washed and pureed)
1. In a small saucepan pour heavy cream and heat over medium heat until edges bubble up.
2. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and salt, mix to combine.
3. Add milk, half and half, and vanilla and stir to combine.
4. Add blackberries and mix in.
5. Place in a covered container for at least one hour until chilled.
6. Pour into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions, until “frozen”, about 30 minutes to soft serve ice cream texture.
7. Place in a freezer container and freeze for 2 hours to harden.