This blood orange salsa salmon was one of the most delicious dishes I have ever prepared and eaten.
Do you know the blood orange? I am sorry it doesn’t have a better name, some people do call it a red orange. I suggest crimson orange. It is grown specifically but it really is a mutation of the orange. There are 3 types of blood oranges: Moro, Tarocco, Sanguinello. They are the primary orange in Italy. The juice can be tart or sweet. It often is used in a vinaigrette. I am kinda (kind of) using the blood orange in a vinaigrette, it is called blood orange salsa salmon maybe because there is cilantro in the recipe but I am already imagining a blood orange vinaigrette salad. I will keep you updated.
In the meantime, I give you a wonderful, healthy seafood dish – blood orange salsa salmon.
- 2 fillets salmon
- 2 Tbs honey
- Kosher salt - to taste (about 1 to 2 tsp)
- pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- ½ blood orange segments - segments halved
- 1 Tbs blood orange zest
- 1 Tbs cilantro - minced
- 1 green onion - minced, use white and green
- 1 Tbs flat parsley leaves- minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ blood orange - juiced
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- In a small bowl; add the blood orange segments, zest, and juice.
- Add to it the cilantro, green onion, flat parsley leaves, red pepper flakes, and vegetable oil.
- Gently mix together, place in fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a oven safe cast iron pan, heat 2 Tbs olive oil over medium heat
- Salt and pepper the salmon fillets.
- Add fillets to the cast iron pan.
- Drizzle honey over the top.
- Sear one side (a minute or two) until a golden brown crust forms , turn over and sear the other side.
- Place in oven to bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until salmon is cooked thoroughly - flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve with blood orange salsa over the top.
How have you enjoyed the blood orange? Share your recipes with me please.