Brown sugar bacon is a delicious and indulgent twist on traditional bacon. Made by coating thick-cut bacon with a mixture of brown sugar and black pepper, then baking it to crispy perfection, this sweet and savory treat is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a topping for burgers and sandwiches.
This brown sugar bacon is such a yummy way to put a sweet twist on this savory food. It’s delicious added to your breakfast with pancakes and eggs, or on top of so many dishes instead of traditional bacon.
You’ll love adding this brown sugar bacon to your favorite cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, deli sandwiches, salads, and more!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Brown Sugar Bacon Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- strips of bacon
- brown sugar
- black pepper
How to make Candied Bacon?
- Line a rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, making sure it overlaps, and hangs over all the sides of the pan, because the sticky grease from the bacon will be very mess to clean up. Add a wire cooling rack to the pan (make sure it isn’t coated)
- Add the brown sugar and pepper to a small bowl and mix them together. Put the bacon slices one at a time into the brown sugar mixture, to coat both sides.
- Place bacon sliced in a single layer onto the wire rack and sprinkle any remaining brown sugar over the top of the bacon strips.
- Bake the bacon in the oven until it is crispy and the brown sugar is melted, about 18 to 25 minutes. Let it cool for a few minutes on the rack. Then enjoy the best bacon you’ve ever had on your favorite sandwiches, burgers, etc.
Tips and Tricks:
- Do not transfer the bacon to paper towels to soak up grease. While you may do this with bacon normally, with brown sugar bacon the caramelized sugar will cause it to completely stick to the paper towels.
- If you don’t have an oven safe wire rack you can cook the bacon straight on the baking tray. But I recommend flipping the bacon half way through the cooking time to cook it more evenly.
- You can skip the black pepper, if you don’t like the flavor. Or try adding other seasonings for different flavors; chili powder, cayenne pepper, or smoked paprika are favorites.
How to store Brown Sugar Bacon?
This brown sugar bacon can be kept in the fridge for a few days, about 4 days, in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Add it to a sauté pan and cook for a few minutes, or microwave for 20 seconds on a plate until warm then enjoy it again.
When to Use Candied Bacon?
Candied bacon is delicious to eat on its own, but my favorite is to add it to recipes where we would use plain cooked bacon.
- Breakfast: Serve it alongside your favorite breakfast of pancakes, and eggs
- Sandwiches: Add a few slices to your favorite sandwich, I especially love it on a Turkey Bacon Avocado Sandwich, a Club Sandwich, or on a BLT.
- Burgers: Add a couple slices of brown sugar bacon to your favorite burger, just like you would traditionally cooked bacon.
- Salads: Crumble up some sweet bacon on your favorite salads for a nice crunch, a wedge salad, or chef’s salad, are especially good.
- Charcuterie Board: Add some brown sugar bacon to your meat and cheese board and enjoy with some cheese and crackers
This brown sugar bacon is one of my favorite ways to have bacon. It’s sweet, savory, crunchy, and chewy, and so good as an addition to so many delicious meals!
More recipe with bacon:
- Western Bacon Cheeseburger
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Bacon Pea Salad
- Cheesy Bacon Spinach Dip
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
Brown Sugar Bacon
- 12 Oz smoked bacon slices
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with overlapping foil, and add a oven safe wire rack on top.
- Combine the brown sugar and black pepper in a small bowl, and stir them together.
- Add the brown sugar mixture to a plate and dip the bacon strips on both sides into the brown sugar to lightly coat both sides.
- Then place the bacon onto the wire rack. The pieces can be lightly touching, but do not overlap them. Repeat with all the bacon pieces.
- Sprinkle any additional brown sugar over the top of the bacon pieces.
- Bake the bacon in the preheated oven for 15-25 minutes until it has reached your desired crisp ones levels.
- Remove the cooking tray from the oven and let the bacon cook for at least 10 minutes before enjoying or using in your favorite dishes.
Leave a Reply