These butter pecan chocolate chip cookies have a fun twist with a delicious orange zest flavor. They are tasty homemade, made from scratch cookies perfect for those you love.
Pin these butter pecan chocolate chip cookies for later.
Handmade, homemade, made from scratch, hand stirred, home cooking! All terms that evoke thoughts of something with heart and love put into. That’s why we cook. Sure we can control exactly what is in our food. Yes, it can be healthier. Often it is less expensive than eating out. Sometimes it is just simpler. But we cook and bake because we love those we prepare food for and we show that love in the preparation.
I make my husband lasagna for special occasions. It takes time and preparation. I do all the work, minus rolling homemade noodles. But I do it because I love him and by my making his favorite lasagna, its one way that he knows I love him.
I bake cookies for people I love too. When I am making the dough, I hand stir it because I love how it feels to cream and beat everything together with my favorite wooden spoon. I drop each new ingredient in and stir and stir because with each stir I think about who I am making the cookies for. I hand chopped my pecans with a good knife on my wooden cutting board. I toasted the pecans over the skillet and watched them carefully, smelling the buttery pecans toasting and bringing out more flavor. I zested, toasted, chopped, stirred, dropped, baked these butter pecan chocolate chip cookies and I knew they were going to people I love. So I made these because I want to give something from my heart.
My dad did that too. He didn’t cook but he did needlepoint. He did lots and lots of needlepoint and he gave lots and lots to people he loved. He would sit to watch tv and use his hands to home craft, home make a dish towel or pillow case. He made rugs with his hands too. He cross stitched rose squares and then had a friend quilt them all together for a beautiful bedspread for my mom. I currently sleep under that bedspread and I remember my parent’s love for each other.
You don’t have to do cross stitch or bake cookies for those you love. A gentle touch from your hand to theirs shows it too. But if you happen to bake these butter pecan chocolate chip cookies, hand one or two to those you love.
Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 1/2 TBS white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 TBS buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan, melt the 2 TBS butter.
- Add the chopped pecans and toast, stir regularly until the pecans are toasty and flavorful. About 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add the 1 cup butter and sugars; combine well until creamy.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and orange zest; combine well.
- In another bowl, add the flour, salt, and baking soda - whisk together
- Add half the flour to the creamed butter/sugar mixture - stir together
- Add the rest of the flour to the creamed butter/sugar mixture, and stir until completely combined. This will be a stiff dough.
- Add the chopped butter toasted pecans and chocolate chips; stir in completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour but up to overnight.
- Remove from fridge and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls or cookie scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes
- Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Continue until all cookies are baked or store in fridge until ready to cook more.
These butter pecan chocolate chip cookies are homemade, hand stirred, made from scratch home cooking for those I love. How do you show your love to others?
I, too, love to bake for people that I love. And the story about your bedspread truly brought a smile to my face! What a precious gift! These cookies sound pretty tasty, too. I love chocolate and orange together 🙂
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
This is the best cookie flavor! What a great way to show your loved ones you care 🙂
These look perfect! Love the butter pecan flavor and the hint of orange!
Ellen Garrett says
Thank you. I love orange in many things, I hope you will too in these cookies.
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
I’ve been craving cookies more than anything this week and these look incredible! I love the addition of the butter pecan to a classic chocolate chip cookie.
Ellen Garrett says
It was a first for me to toast in butter the pecans, and oh so good. I hope you like these.