These cheese stuffed soft pretzels are delicious soft pretzels with the chewy, salty, exterior, and a delicious soft pretzel interior filled with melty cheese. They’re such a delicious appetizer, or snack.
These soft pretzels are inspired by Disneyland, we had a trip planned for last November that we of course had to cancel, but at least I can have these pretzels. 😉
These soft pretzels are perfectly buttery, salty, and so delicious – with the perfect soft pretzel interior, and the iconic chewy exterior. Then as you bite into them you realize there is another layer with the delicious gooey melty white cheddar cheese in the middle.
They’re ready in about 1 hour, from start to eating them, easy to make, and so delicious. You’ll never need to go grab soft pretzels from the mall again.
How to make Cheese Stuffed Soft Pretzels:
Start by making the dough. In a large bowl, dissolve instant yeast in warm water until it’s nice and bubbly. Then add in the sugar, salt, and b utter and stir it all together.
Add in the flour one cup at a time, mixing after each addition as you go. If the dough is still sticky after the listed amount of flour, then add in more flour 1 Tablespoon at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky. (The dough should bounce back when you poke it)
Knead the dough for another 3 minutes, then form it into a ball. Stick the dough into a new clean bowl, greased with oil or non stick spray. Cover the dough with a towel and place it in a warm area to let the dough rise for about 30 minutes.
Once the dough is ready you will cut it into 24 even pieces. I usually cut it into 8 pieces then cut those each into thirds. Flatten each section with your hands and put a cheese block into the middle. Wrap the ends of the section around the cheese block and pinch them together. Then roll the dough ball as evenly as you can to smooth it out.
Boil some water with baking soda, and drop the pretzels one at a time into the hot water. (30 seconds). Remove the pretzels with a slotted spoon so the excess water will drip back into the pan, and transfer the pretzels onto a prepared baking sheet.
Sprinkle the tops of each of them with coarse sea salt. (You can brush with an egg wash first if you want too, but they don’t need it) Bake until the pretzels are a nice golden brown color. Let the pretzels cool for about 2 minutes, then enjoy warm while the cheese is still gooey.
Tips for making Cheese Stuffed Soft Pretzel Balls:
- I used a delicious white cheddar cheese in my soft pretzels, but you can substitute yellow cheddar, mozzarella, or even pepper jack cheeses for a yummy twist on the flavor.
- I have tried making these pretzel bites smaller and it doesn’t work out well. The cheese comes out of the pretzels while they are baking if they are too small, and the dough is too thin.
- Some of your pretzel balls may still have some cheese leak out, it’s not a big deal, they’ll still taste delicious.
- Pretzel balls are delicious on their own, or served with some mustard or more melty cheese on the side.
How to store Cheese Stuffed Soft Pretzels?
Homemade soft pretzels are best enjoyed shortly after coming out of the oven, but of course if we have leftovers we don’t want them to go to waste. Let them cool completely at room temperature and then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, or store them in an airtight container for up to 24 hours, or in the fridge for up to 4 days. I recommend microwaving them to reheat them to enjoy again warm. Or you can reheat them in an air fryer or oven to help keep the exterior chewy.
You can also freeze the leftovers, which I like to do. Lay out the pretzels on a baking sheet in a single layer, then freeze the pan. Transfer the frozen pretzels to a freezer safe container, like a freezer safe tiptop bag and store for up to 4 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them again, reheat them on a baking pan in the oven at 300 F for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are hot throughout.
These cheese stuffed soft pretzels are my new favorite snack. They’re perfect for making just for a special afternoon snack, or enjoying while watching a football game.
Biting into the warm chewy pretzel, and revealing the gooey cheese in the middle *muah* it’s so delicious! I could easily eat 6 in one sitting!
More soft pretzel recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cheese Stuffed Soft Pretzel Bites
For the Soft Pretzels:
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (or 1 packet)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 2 TBS melted butter
- 4 cups all purpose flour
For Filling the Pretzels:
- 12 oz white cheddar cheese
For the baking soda bath:
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
For Baking the Pretzels:
- 1 egg
- 1 TBS water
- coarse sea salt
- Dissolve your yeast in your warm water in a large bowl. Stir together for about 1 minute until mostly combined.
- Add in your salt, brown sugar and butter and stir everything together.
- Add in your flour, 1 cup at a time until dough is thick and no longer sticky. Add more flour 1 TBS at a time if needed to make sure dough isn't sticky. (Poke dough with your finger, and dough should bounce back - then it is ready)
- Lightly flour a flat surface.
- Knead your dough for 3 minutes and form into a ball.
- Oil a large bowl with nonstick spray and place dough in. Cover bowl with a towel and place in a warm area.
- Allow dough ball to rest for 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut cheese into 1 inch sized pieces. You need 24 of them.
For the baking soda bath:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add 1/2 cup baking soda to the pot.
- Cut your dough into 24 pieces.
- Flatten each piece with your hand, and place one cheese cube into the middle of the piece.
- Pull the sides of the dough together, and pinch them together. Roll the dough back into a smooth ball.
- Drop the pretzel balls carefully into the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds each.
- Remove from water with a slotted spatula or spoon, and let the excess water drip back into the pot. Place the pretzels on a greased half baking sheet. Place 12 on each baking sheet.
For Baking the Pretzels:
- Sprinkle the tops evenly with coarse sea salt.
- Bake the pretzels for 16 to 18 minutes until the pretzel crust is a nice golden color.
- Let the pretzels cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then enjoy warm.