These cinnamon sugar soft pretzel bites are perfect soft pretzels with a chewy pretzel crust, soft interior, and coated in cinnamon sugar. They are so good on their own, or served with a sweet cream cheese dip!
**This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will get a very small percentage in commission. There is no extra cost to you. I only link to products I use or own. Your help in supporting us and our blog is appreciated.
Ever since I made my soft pretzel bites last year I have been wanting to try homemade cinnamon sugar soft pretzel bites! Well, I finally had an excuse to make them and now I’m wondering why I didn’t do it sooner!?
These soft pretzel bites are perfectly soft in the middle, with that classic chewy soft pretzel crust, ultra soft interior, and then they are coated in cinnamon sugar!
They’re such a yummy sweet treat, and perfect for when you’re craving something sweet. They only take about 1 hours from start to finish, and then you’re ready to dig right in.
These cinnamon sugar pretzels are just like Auntie Anne’s, or other mall pretzel stores, or maybe even better. And now you can make, and enjoy them at home whenever that soft pretzel craving strikes. I don’t know about you – but soft pretzels are totally something I crave 😉
This recipe makes a big giant batch of these, so they’re perfect for a fun party, or whenever you’re having a group of people over. They’re perfect for a birthday, sporting event, movie night, etc.
The pretzels can be a little messy to make, and they might look intimidating with so many steps, but I promise the results are well worth it!
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzels?
- First we will start with the pretzel dough, it’s a pretty simple yeast dough. You’ll dissolve the yeast in the warm water till it’s nice and bubbly.
- Then add in the sugar, salt, and butter and stir it all together.
- Add in the flour one cup at a time, mixing after each addition.
- If it’s still sticky after four cups of flour you can add in more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until it’s no longer sticky.
- The dough should bounce back when you poke it.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes, then form it into a ball. Stick the dough into a clean bowl, sprayed with nonstick spray. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rise for about 30 minutes, until it is doubled in size.
- Separate the dough into 6 sections.
- Then roll each of those into long ropes.
- Cut each of the ropes into 10 to 12 pieces.
- When you’re ready to make the pretzels, bring a big pot of water to boil with the baking soda in it. Drop about 12 pieces at a time into the hot water, and let them sit for a few seconds. Remove them from a slotted spoon, and try and shake all the extra water off.
- Then place them onto a baking sheet. Brush each pretzel bite with an egg wash (beat together 1 egg and 1 TBS water in a small bowl) with a silicone brush.
- Then bake them in the oven until the tops are nice and golden brown.
- Dip each pretzel bite into melted butter,
- Then into cinnamon sugar.
Tips for making Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels?
- This recipe makes a big batch, about 60-72 pretzel bites depending how big/small you cut them up. If you aren’t going to be sharing, I recommend cutting the recipe in half. All the ingredients should be fine being cut straight in half, except for the egg wash (you’ll still just want 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon of water), and you’ll keep the baking soda bath as is.
- If not, you can also turn half of the pretzel bites, into salty bites – the dough recipe is the same as my traditional soft pretzel bites.
- These pretzel bites are best eaten warm and fresh, but if you’re going to eat some the next day zap them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to warm them up again, and they’ll be almost as good as new!
- For a pumpkin spice twist, add a couple teaspoons of pumpkin spice seasoning to the cinnamon sugar coating.
- I haven’t tried this, but I’ve been told these can easily be subbed with vegan ingredients, using vegan butter or coconut oil instead of the butter, and almond milk instead of the egg wash.
- Put your cinnamon sugar mixture through a sifter if it starts to get clumpy from too much butter getting into it.
These cinnamon sugar soft pretzel bites are seriously delicious on their own, but paired with the cream cheese dip, *muah* they’re perfection. You’ll love them with or with out the dip, but if you do make the dip then I think these are acceptable for breakfast as they’re practically cinnamon rolls 😉
What people are saying about these cinnamon sugar soft pretzel bites:
“I usually don’t write reviews, but these pretzels were SO delicious I had to. I’ve made these pretzels 3 times in the past month. My family loves them. I’ll be making them again later today. Thanks so much for sharing such a delicious, easy recipe:)” – Emmy
“So quick and easy to make! Super soft and fluffy too. I suck at making bread but this was a no fail recipe for me 🙂” – Jennifer
Looking for more soft pretzel recipes:
- Soft Pretzels
- Soft Pretzel Bites
- Pretzel Wrapped Bratwurst
- Jalapeno Cheddar Soft Pretzel Bites on Cook Nourish Bliss
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites
For the Soft Pretzels:
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 2 TBS unsalted butter (melted)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBS water
For the Baking Soda Bath:
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
For the Cream Cheese Dip:
- 4 oz cream cheese softened)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Large Mixing Bowl
For the Pretzels:
- Dissolve your yeast in your warm water in a large bowl. Stir together for about 1 minute until mostly combined.
- Add in your salt, sugar and butter and stir everything together.
- Add in your flour, 1 cup at a time until dough is thick and no longer sticky. Add more flour 1 TBS at a time if needed to make sure dough isn't sticky. (Poke dough with your finger, and dough should bounce back - then it is ready)
- Lightly flour a flat surface.
- Knead your dough for 3 minutes and form into a ball.
- Oil a large bowl with nonstick spray and place dough in. Cover bowl with a towel and place in a warm area.
- Allow to rest in warm area for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring 9 cups of water with ½ cup of baking soda to boil.
- Cut your dough ball into 6 sections.
- Roll each section into long ropes about 20-22 inches long.
- Cut each rope into about 10-12 1.5 inch pieces.
- Drop one rope worth of pretzel bites into your baking soda bath and let sit for 20-30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone liner.
- Beat together your egg and 1 TBS water in a small bowl.
- Brush egg over each pretzel bite and place on prepared pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until pretzel tops are a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Dip each pretzel bite into melted butter then into cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Set back on tray and repeat with additional pretzel bites.
For the Cream Cheese Dip:
- Mix together your butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in your powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until completely combined. (Add in milk 1/2 TBS at a time, if needed to make dip softer and smoother) Microwave for 20 seconds to reheat if you're not using immediately.
These cinnamon sugar soft pretzel bites were first posted on January 15, 2016. The photos and text were updated for clarity on April 21, 2021.
MAKE THESE AMAZING CINNAMON SUGAR SOFT PRETZEL BITES WITH THESE GREAT KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS: