These pretzel hot dogs are so delicious, with a tasty combination of a chewy pretzel wrapped around a juicy salty hot dog. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner, and everyone will love them!
These homemade pretzel hot dogs are better than you’d get from the mall, without too much effort. You’ll be enjoying warm chewy pretzel wrapped hot dogs in only about an hour – with only about 20 minutes of actual work.
They’re perfect served up with some ketchup and mustard for dipping them into, and everyone will love them.
I did a study abroad in Vienna, Austria when I was in college. I lived there for about 4 months in the fall into the winter, which meant we got to enjoy the warmth of the end of summer, the changing fall leaves and crispy air, and the spirit of Christmas.
Vienna might be my favorite place to spend the Christmas season, because it means Christmas markets! The Christkindlmarkt in Vienna are open for several weeks which meant I could enjoy many of them throughout the city, and a lot of them I went to multiple times. At these lovely markets you can buy anything from warm baked goods and hot cocoa or gluhwein, to hand crafted Christmas ornaments, jewelry, children’s toys, and much more. All of these things come together to create one of the most picturesque Christmas scenes. The sights and the smells are breath taking.
One of my favorite things to buy from a Christmas market were pretzel wrapped bratwurst. Now I love to make all the soft pretzels at home, including cinnamon sugar pretzel bites, and they all remind me a bit of those beloved Christmas markets in Vienna. These pretzel hot dogs are so insanely delicious, with the chewy pretzel bread on the outside, stuffed with a yummy hot dog. Dip them into your favorite ketchup or mustard for a delicious dinner that kids and adults will love!
It might seem hard to make these at home, but it’s really not hard. With a simple dough recipe that is ready in about 40 minutes, you’ll have these pretzel dogs ready in just over an hour!
You can make these pretzel dogs with any hot dogs or bratwurst that are precooked from the store. I haven’t tried them with the ones that are made with raw ground meat yet, so I’m not sure how those would cook up.
Can you save pretzel dogs for later?
The pretzel dough is best eaten warm and fresh, but you can save them in the fridge for 1 to 2 days and reheat them in the oven when you want to enjoy them again at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until hot throughout.
Or you can freeze them for another time. First you will need to let them cool completely to room temperature. Then wrap them up individually in plastic wrap, then put them all in a freezer safe bag. Store them in your freezer for about 1-2 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them again you can reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, or until they’re hot throughout.
Since this recipe makes about 14 pretzel dogs, you could instead make 6 or 8 pretzel wrapped hot dogs and use the rest of the pretzel dough to make your own pretzel bites, or soft pretzels. Or you can save some of pretzel hot dogs for later.
How to make pretzel hot dogs?
You’ll start be preparing the dough. You’ll mix your yeast and warm water together. Then add in brown sugar, salt, and melted butter. Add in the flour, one cup at a time, stirring after each, until you have a nice soft dough. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes and then form it into a ball. Stick the dough into a bowl sprayed with nonstick spray, cover with a towel, and place it in a warm area. Let it rest for 30 minutes while the dough rises.
Bring a large pot of water to boil, with 1/2 cup baking soda.
Cut the dough into 14 sections and roll them each out into long ropes about 18 inches long. Wrap the dough rope around your hot dogs starting with one end and working to the other. Pinch the dough onto itself to hold it in place. Add each of the pretzel dogs to the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds. Then with a slotted spoon, or spatula remove the pretzel dogs and place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Make an egg wash with water and an egg whisked together, and using a rubber basting brush, brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg wash. Then sprinkle the tops with coarse salt.
Bake in the preheated oven until the pretzels are a nice dark golden color. Let them cool for a couple minutes so they’re not too hot to handle and then gobble those pretzels up quickly because they’re so good!
These pretzel wrapped hot dogs are a great solution for lunch, dinner, or even for a football game watching party. They’re better than you’d get from the mall, so no more worrying about grabbing these from Auntie Anne’s – now you can enjoy them at home! They’re so delicious, and everyone will gobble them up in no time!
Looking for more soft pretzel recipes?
- soft pretzels
- soft pretzel bites
- cinnamon sugar soft pretzel bites
- soft pretzel rolls on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Pretzel Hot Dogs
For the Pretzel Dough:
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 2 TBS melted butter
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 8 cups water
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 TBS water
For Pretzel Hot Dogs:
- 14 hot dogs
- 1 TBS coarse sea salt
For the Pretzel Dough:
- In a large bowl, combine your yeast and warm water. Stir together and let sit for 1 minute.
- Add in the salt, brown sugar and melted butter, and stir together.
- Add in the flour, 1 cup a time, until the dough is thick and no longer sticky. (Add in more flour 1 TBS at a time as needed if the dough is still sticky)
- Lightly flour a flat surface.
- Knead your dough for 3-4 minutes and form it into a ball.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover with a towel, and place in a warm area.
- Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot over medium high heat and add in baking soda.
- Cut dough into 14 pieces.
- Roll each section into long ropes about 18-20inches long.
- Wrap each hotdog starting at one end working to the other. Pinch the dough onto itself at the ends to hold it in place.
- Place 2 to 3 wrapped hot dogs at a time into the boiling water. Boil for 20-30 seconds each.
- Remove pretzel dogs with a slotted spoon or spatula to let the water drip off.
- Place on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the egg and water.
- Brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle the tops with coarse salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-18 minutes, until the pretzel dough is a dark golden brown color.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Enjoy warm served with ketchup and mustard.
Pretzel wrapped hot dogs first posted on October 12, 2012. Photos and recipe updated on April 24, 2020.