The best chicken salad sandwiches with rotisserie chicken, grapes, celery, and cashews for a wonderful taste and crunchy freshness.
Photo Update: 3/11/15
These chicken salad sandwiches are an easy meal to throw together, and especially if you use a preroasted rotisserie chicken, like we did. The meal is easy to make, and makes a lot so its perfect for a meal for a big family, taking to a pot luck, or enjoying at a party. The chicken mixture also stores well in the fridge for a few days, so its even a good option for quick lunches or dinners for just the two of us at home!
In my church we have activities to unite the members and promote friendship. Sometimes those activities are on Sunday right after church; these activities have received various names – “Break the Fast”, “Linger Longer” and “Munch and Lunch”. Almost every church activity involves food, particularly pot luck style.
A recent Sunday we had this pot luck activity and I brought this chicken salad. Well, the real story is my husband was in charge of the main dish and he decided we should do chicken salad. His delegating of the salad involving recruiting me, my sister, and my niece. We prepared our first chicken salad for 100 people (the original recipe included 10 roasting chickens, 9 gala apples, 5 pounds of celery, 8 lbs of grapes, 1 lemon, 3 32 oz jars of mayo, and 2.5 lbs of cashews). Of course the main ingredient is the chicken; so start with a really good chicken – we used Costco preroasted chicken.
This chicken salad mixture adds together lots of delicious ingredients, but you can mix things up a little if you want to also, if you don’t want nuts, leave out the cashews, add in some dried cranberries, whatever. Its an easy recipe to throw together with such a simple taste that I think you’ll love.
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 1 gala apple (chopped)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 5-6 cups shredded chicken (I used one roasted rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2-3 stalks)
- 1 cup cashews (chopped)
- 1 cup quartered green grapes
- 1 cup mayo (give or take a little)
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (to taste)
- croissants (or other good bread)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Put your chopped apple pieces into a small bowl and pour your lemon juice and water into the bowl and mix around. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Dry off with a paper towel.
- Put your chicken, apple, celery, cashews and grapes into a large mixing bowl. Stir everything together.
- Add in your mayo and salt and pepper and coat your mixture.
- Serve your chicken mixture on your croissants.
Enjoy this simple chicken salad sandwich for a quick lunch, or a potluck style!