This chocolate ice cream is so easy to make, with only 6 ingredients! It’s ultra rich, thick, and creamy, and has the perfect chocolate flavor in every bite!
Next month is national ice cream month, and July 21 (almost exactly 1 month from today is National Ice cream Day!) I love ice cream all year long, but it’s especially delectable on a hot summer day, like today, I think.
So in honor of the upcoming holiday, and enjoy a cold bowl of ice cream all summer long, go eat some yummy ice cream, and especially if you want to make up a batch of this amazing chocolate ice cream! You owe it to yourself to celebrate the holiday. And as Ronald Regan who created the holiday said it should be celebrated with “appropriate ceremonies and activities” which basically means eating a lot of ice cream, right?
I think chocolate ice cream is always a good idea, and this easy recipe is great for enjoying on it’s own, or with your favorite mix ins. If you love chocolate ice cream, you’ll also love our rocky road ice cream, and chocolate peanut butter ice cream too!
This simple homemade chocolate ice cream is a winner. Yes, it can be a long process to remember to freeze your ice cream maker bowl beforehand, but when it’s ready you just stir the ingredients and throw them all into the ice cream maker. And then if you want the ice cream scoopable you need to refreeze it. It seems like a hassle, but is it worth it? Always!
How to make Chocolate Ice Cream?
This chocolate ice cream is an egg free ice cream, so it’s not a custard based ice cream, but I promise it’s still nice and creamy. All you need to make it is cocoa powder, sugar, brown sugar, heavy cream, milk, and a dash of vanilla. That’s it. You probably have most of the ingredients at home already!
You’ll literally just mix together your cocoa powder, brown sugar and white sugar in a bowl. Sift it up if you need to get rid of any chunky pieces. Then mix it up with the heavy cream, and milk, and vanilla extract. Stir it for a few minutes to try and help the sugars dissolve. Then pour it all into the prepared ice cream maker.
The ice cream will come out of the ice cream maker a super soft consistency, kind of like a Wendy’s frosty. It’s super delicious like that, or I like to freeze it up for a few more hours to make it scoopable like your favorite store bought ice cream.
Tips and Tricks:
- The ice cream will be richer and creamier with heavy cream, but you can substitute half and half to save a few calories. It will be more icy and not as thick this way though.
- Add up to 1.5 cups of mix ins the last 5 minutes of churning. Some good options would be brownie bites, mini chocolate chips, chopped up Oreos, etc.
And if you want to take the ice cream to the next level, put a scoop on top of homemade chocolate brownies, all topped with homemade hot fudge. It might be death by chocolate, but it’s worth it – especially for all you chocolate lovers out there!
Looking for more Homemade Ice Cream Recipes?
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Cake Batter Ice Cream
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Brownie Ice Cream
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Combine cocoa powder and sugars in a large bowl.
- Add heavy cream and milk to the cocoa powder mixture and stir for about 5 minutes to help them dissolve.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and allow to mix for about 30 minutes, according to manufactures instructions.
- Scoop ice cream into a 1.5 quart container, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for 6 hours, up to overnight for a more hand scooped ice cream.
Recipe first posted on July 15, 2012. Photos updated on June 24, 2019.