This chocolate poke cake is a rich and decadent chocolate cake that is filled with hot fudge sauce, and topped with chocolate whipped cream!
This chocolate poke cake starts with a box mix, but no one eating it will ever know! Since you use a cake mix you don’t have to worry about being nervous with baking! This cake is so easy to make, and only takes a few minutes of your time to make! The only hard part, is the cake is best served cold, so you’ll need to wait a couple hours to let your cake chill in the fridge!
There are a few ways to jazz up boxed cake mixes (just like we like to do with brownie mixes). The easiest way is to use milk instead of water in the mix to make it extra rich! You can also add sour cream, pudding mix, and an extra egg too!
We’ve got a couple other poke cake recipes on our blog, with our mint chocolate poke cake, strawberries and cream poke cake, and lemon poke cake recipes! Poke cakes are so fun to make in so many different flavors, and this chocolate poke cake is one of the best!
This extra chocolatey poke cake is perfect for chocolate lovers! With chocolate in every layer this cake is so rich and decadent and so delicious. You’ll start with a chocolate cake mix. For the poke filling, you’ll still start with sweetened condensed milk and mix it with hot fudge to make it so nice and chocolatey! It tastes just like an extra rich hot fudge sauce and its sooo good! The filling keeps the cake so moist throughout. Top that all with a homemade chocolate whipped cream! Spread some chocolate syrup and mini chocolate chips over the top to decorate it and this cake is the ultimate cake for all you chocolate fans!
The cake would also be delicious topped with chopped up Oreos, Reeses, or any of your favorite candy bars!
Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix (I like Devil's Food)
- oil, eggs, and water (as called for on cake mix)
- 12 oz jar Hot Fudge Sauce
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Topping:
- chocolate sauce
- mini chocolate chips
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your cake mix and bake according to box instructions in a 9x13 pan.
- Allow cake to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Poke the cake all over with the bottom of a wooden spoon. (Or a fork, or knife or whatever you have)
- Mix together hot fudge and sweetened condensed milk in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour hot fudge sauce over the cake and spread evenly to go in holes and cover the cake.
- Cover the cake and place it in the fridge to chill for about 2 hours.
For the Chocolate Whipping Cream:
- Add heavy cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large bowl.
- Beat heavy cream over high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread chocolate whipped cream over the top of the cake evenly.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce over the whipped cream, and sprinkle mini chocolate chips evenly over the top to decorate.
- Cover cake and place back in the fridge to chill for another 2 hours up to overnight.
- Slice and serve.