This gooey coconut almond chex mix is delicious mix of crunchy cereal all coated in a gooey sweet coating. It’s practically addictive, and is a must make for the holiday season!
This sweet coconut chex mix is one of the best snack mixes out there. It’s a bit crunchy, chewy, and coated in the best gooey, almost caramel like mixture.
You know I can’t stay away from sweet snack mixes, like our snickerdoodle muddy buddies, cookies and cream muddy buddies, or this better than sex chex mix. But this gooey sweet chex mix, may be my favorite of all.
A few years back some friends of ours stopped by and brought us a bag of this amazingly delicious, gooey, coconut Chex mix as a holiday treat and Nate and I literally ate the whole thing in about 5 minutes. It’s really that good. I had to text my friend right away for the recipe so I could make it again for myself. And now I try and make it at least once a year.
This coconut almond chex mix is a must make for the holidays. It makes a huge bowl full. I mean, seriously this recipe makes a ton. It covers more than 2 full cookie sheets, and one year Nate was able to take 14 bagfulls to work to share with his co-workers, after I had already been munching on it all day. His coworkers were more than happy to eat some as well!
It’s a perfect treat for sharing with neighbors (if you’re doing that kind of thing this year). It would also be great for Christmas parties, movie or game nights at home, etc.
How to make coconut chex mix?
Mix together the two cereals, coconut, and almonds in a large bowl. In a large pot, add your butter, sugar, and corn syrup. Bring the sugar mixture to a boil, then let it boil for 2 minutes. Pour the mixture over the cereals and stir it all together to evenly coat it all. Pour it out on waxed paper to let it cool.
Tips for making coconut almond chex mix:
- This recipe makes a ton! So you need a VERY LARGE bowl to mix it all. You could also use two bowls.
- Don’t skip the coconut! Even if you don’t normally like it, it mostly just tastes sweet here.
- If you don’t want the mixture as gooey and sticky, you can add 1 cup extra of each of the cereals.
Gooey Coconut Chex Mix Variation Ideas:
- Instead of almonds you could add in whatever your favorite nuts are, pecans, cashews, walnuts, etc. You could also leave the nuts out if you are not a fan, just replace them with more coconut or cereal to keep the right ratios.
- Add in some chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips for a fun sweet addition.
- Add some m&ms to the mix for a colorful chocolate addition. It would be so fun to add different colors based on the occasion, red and green for Christmas, red white and blue for 4th of July, etc.
- Add in some pretzels to make this mix a little sweet and salty.
- Add in some other dried fruit like cranberries, dried pineapple, or dried mango.
How to store coconut chex mix?
Store any extra coconut chex mix you have in an airtight container. A bowl with a lid, pyrex, or zip top bags work great. It should stay good for 3 to 4 days.
This gooey, sweet, delicious, coconut, almond chex mix is so easy to make! It literally takes less than 15 minutes to make! It’s the perfect movie night treat, or treat for a holiday party, or for sharing with friends! Everyone will love it.
Looking for more snack mix recipes?
- S’mores Muddy Buddies
- Peppermint Puppy Chow
- Almond Chex Party Mix
- Better than Sex Chex Mix
- Caramel Chex Mix on Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- White Chocolate Chex Mix on Butter with a Side of Bread
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Gooey Coconut Almond Chex Mix
- 12 oz rice chex
- 12 oz golden grahams
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks)
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Mix together the rice chex, golden grahams, shredded coconut, and sliced almonds in 1 giant bowl (or 2 large bowls).
- In a large pot heat together the butter, sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, let it cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Pour the mixture over your cereal mixture and stir everything together.
- Pour mixture onto waxed paper and allow to set till cool.
This coconut almond chex mix was first posted on December 23, 2014. The photos and text were updated for clarity on November 16, 2020.