These cosmic hot chocolate bombs, have a smooth chocolate shell that melts into hot milk and releases cocoa powder, a cosmic brownie piece, and mini marshmallows. It’s all stirred together for a warm, rich, and creamy cup of hot cocoa! Perfect for a cold day!
Hot Chocolate Bombs are definitely the newest trend to reach the internet. I know I’m a little slow to get a recipe on here, but these Cosmic Hot Cocoa Bombs are to die for!
What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot Chocolate bombs are balls of chocolate, filled with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows that you add to a mug, and pour hot milk over the top, and let the chocolate shell melt to release the cocoa and marshmallows, and stir together for a delicious mug of hot cocoa.
These cosmic hot chocolate bombs are also filled with a piece of cosmic brownie. This is totally optional, but it kind of softens in the hot chocolate, and when you eat it out with a spoon its kind of soft and gooey like cookie dough in ice cream.
What do you need to make Cosmic Hot Chocolate Bombs?
- silicone sphere mold
- microwave safe bowl
- chocolate chips
- hot chocolate mix
- ziplock bag or piping bag
- mini marshmallows
- chocolate rainbow chips
How to make Cosmic Brownie Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot chocolate bombs aren’t as hard to make as it seems, it’s just a few steps, so you have to be patient.
- First you’ll melt some chocolate chips in the microwave till it’s nice and smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate to a silicone mold and spread it evenly around the sides. Let it set in the fridge or freezer till the chocolate is hardened.
- Once you have both tops and bottoms done, put some of the chocolate in a ziplock bag and snip off the corner to drizzle the chocolate over half of the domes.
- Set some rainbow chips on top for color.
- Add hot cocoa powder to the bottom half of the bombs.
- Add a cosmic brownie piece on top of the powder.
- Add mini marshmallows to each of them too.
- Microwave a small plate for a few seconds just to get it warm. Add the top halves of the hot chocolate bombs to the plate one at a time to let the chocolate melt a little.
- Place the top half of the bomb on the bottom to line them up, and then melted chocolate should help them stick together.
- Now they’re ready to enjoy!
How to store Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot chocolate bombs will keep for about 1 month in an air tight container or ziptop bag, at room temperature. The hot chocolate bombs will likely stay good as long as the chocolate, and hot chocolate powder expiration dates list.
The brownie piece may get hard, and the marshmallows too, if you store them longer. If you use any additional ingredients in your hot chocolate bombs they may go bad sooner.
Tips for making Hot Cocoa Bombs:
- If you want to make sure your chocolate is nice and shiny you will want to temper it as you melt it. This just means you are ensuring the temperature of the hot chocolate doesn’t get too hot. For semi sweet chocolate chips, like used in this recipe, you’ll want to keep the chocolate temperature below 91 degrees Farenheit. A good range is between 87 and 90 degrees.
- You can make your hot chocolate with hot milk or hot water, but I recommend hot milk as you will have a much richer, and creamier cup of cocoa.
These hot chocolate bombs are so delicious, and such a fun way to have your cup of cocoa!
More Hot Cocoa Recipes:
- Hot Chocolate Mix
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs on Julie Blanner
- Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate on Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Homemade White Hot Chocolate on Celebrating Sweets
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cosmic Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 2 1/4 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (divided)
- 2 TBS chocolate rainbow chips
- 3/4 cup hot cocoa mix
- 1 cosmic brownie
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add your chocolate chips. Melt for 30 seconds in the microwave, then stir it as best as you can. Melt it in additional 15 second increments, until you can stir it totally smooth. This should take between 60 and 90 seconds.
- Spoon about 2 TBS of chocolate into each sphere, and spread the chocolate around the whole whole sphere making sure the edges are well coated so they are not fragile.
- Let the mold set in the fridge or freezer until hardened, about 10 minutes. Gently remove the chocolate spheres from the molds.
- Repeat with additional chocolate if you only have enough for 6 molds at one time.
- Scoop the remaining chocolate into a piping bag, or ziplock bag and snip the corner off. Drizzle half of the spheres with the melted chocolate. Place several rainbow chips on top of the chocolate drizzles before it hardens. Let them set in the fridge or freezer until hardened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Lay the 6 remaining half spheres face up on a plate, spoon 2 TBS of the hot chocolate mix into each sphere. Top with one piece of the cosmic brownie, and divide the mini marshmallows evenly between them.
- Warm a small microwave safe plate in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Lay the decorated empty half sphere on the plate for a couple of seconds until the edges begin to melt. This creates an even edge and a soft of chocolate glue. Connect with a bottom filled half so the edges meat. Repeat with the remaining sphere halves until you have 6 hot chocolate bombs.
To make hot cocoa:
- Set the hot cocoa bomb in the bottom of a mug and pour 6 of hot milk (or water) over the top until the shell has melted, releasing the hot cocoa powder, cosmic brownie, and mini marshmallows.
- Stir with a spoon until it's all combined.
Leave a Reply