These Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs are a perfect blend of caramel hot cocoa, marshmallows, and chocolate – all mixed with hot milk, then you have perfect cup of hot cocoa!
These salted caramel hot chocolate bombs are such a fun and delicious way to enjoy a cup of cocoa, and to make it extra special. Hot Chocolate Bombs are an extra great way to enjoy hot chocolate, and they’re also great to wrap up and share as gifts!
What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot Chocolate Bombs are a hallow chocolate candy sphere that is filled with hot chocolate mix, marshmallows, and any other fun mix ins you choose for your flavor of choice.
You then add your hot chocolate bomb to a mug, and pour hot milk over the top. The hot milk melts the chocolate sphere, exposing the cocoa mix inside. Then you just need to stir it all up and you have an extra rich, creamy, and delicious mug of hot cocoa.
There are so many delicious flavors of hot chocolate bombs out there, we’ve got mint chocolate, white chocolate with lucky charms, and more – and these caramel hot chocolate bombs are such a great one to add to the mix.
**This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links, at no additional costs to you.
What do you need to make Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs?
- high quality chocolate – use a high quality chocolate like baking chocolate, or couverture chocolate morsels
- salted caramel hot chocolate mix – you can buy individual packets between .85 and 1.25oz each, or use a can and scoop some out for each bomb
- mini marshmallows – you can use soft marshmallows, or dehydrated marshmallows
- caramel candy melts – to add just a little more caramel flavor
- flaky salt – to give the “salted” touch, but you can skip it if you want
- sprinkles – optional for decorating the cocoa bombs
How to make Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Add your chopped chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second increments, then additional 15 second increments, stirring as much as you can until you can stir the chocolate totally smooth.
Spoon some chocolate into each of the silicone molds, and spread it around to cover the molds completely using the back of a small spoon. Put the mold in the fridge to chill for about 5 minutes, then bring the molds out and spoon another Tablespoon into each half dome, spreading it all over, especially to the edges.
Microwave a plate, then place the edge of one half shell onto the plate, and rotate it around to get the edge smooth. Place the shell round side down into a muffin liner. Fill it up with the caramel hot chocolate mix, and then top with mini marshmallows. Then repeat melted the edges of the top shells, and place them on top and twist around, and push together to seal the edges.
Melt the caramel candy melts in the microwave according to the package directions, then drizzle it over the cocoa bombs with a small spoon. Top with sprinkles, and coarse salt. Let them set, then enjoy when you’re ready!
How to store Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Store the hot chocolate mugs in a container with a lid, or in an airtight container. They should last for up to 2 weeks. Keep them in a cool dry place. If your house is extra warm and you are worried about them melting, store them in the fridge.
You can also wrap the bombs individually in a cellophane bag, tied tightly at the top. This makes such a fun gift for sharing with friends, family, or neighbors.
How to make a mug of Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Add the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bomb to a large mug, and pour 8 oz of hot milk over the top. (I like to heat the milk up in a small sauce pan over medium heat on the stove, just until the edges start to bubble. You can also heat the milk up in the microwave.)
Stir it all up together until the chocolate bomb is melted into the milk, and the hot chocolate powder is mixed into the milk. Top the mug of cocoa with more mini marshmallows, or whipped cream, and a drizzle of caramel sauce if desired.
These Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bombs make the richest and creamiest mug of caramel hot chocolate. It’s sweet, smooth, and so delicious, and the perfect way to warm up on a cool day.
More Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 12 oz finely chopped high quality chocolate
- 7.5 oz salted caramel hot chocolate (or 6 individual 1.25oz salted caramel hot chocolate mix packets)
- mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup caramel candy melts (optional)
- flaky sea salt (optional)
- sprinkles (optional)
To make the Mug of Hot Chocolate:
- 8 oz whole milk (per mug/serving)
- Add 10 oz chopped chocolate to a medium microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave, and stir as much as you can. **
- Continue to microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring fully and scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula between each time, until the chocolate is almost completely melted. Then continue to stir the chocolate so that it's continues to melt from it's own heat until it is fully melted, without over heating it.
- Once the chocolate is smooth, check the temperature with an instant read thermometer to make sure that the melted chocolate reads between 88 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit (for semi sweet or dark chocolate) If the temperature goes over 90 degrees, stir in an additional ounce or two of chopped chocolate, without reheating to lower the temperature. (If you're using milk chocolate you want it melted between 86 and 88 F)
- Spoon about 1 Tablespoon of melted chocolate into each of the hot chocolate molds.Use the back of a small spoon to spread it around. Make sure to get the chocolate all the way to the top of the rim, and to cover any exposed areas.
- Place the molds on a small baking sheet and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Remove the molds from the fridge and spoon another heaping spoonful of melted chocolate into each half dome. Use the back of the spoon to work the second layer of chocolate around, really building up the edges to make them thicker, to help them not to crack. Repeat with additional half domes.
- Place the molds into the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- Remove the molds from the freezer and put on food safe gloves to carefully remove the shells from the mold. (The gloves keep the chocolate shells from getting any finger prints on them)
- Once all 12 shells are made, microwave a flat microwave safe plate for 2 minutes.
- Place 6 of the shells on the plate, one at a time, and use your gloved hand to gently spin them on the plate, to smooth the edges.
- Place the round side down in a regular cupcake liner to hold the hot cocoa bombs.
- Wipe the plate clean.
- Fill the shells in the cupcake liners with about 1.25oz, or 3 TBS of the caramel hot chocolate mix, and as many marshmallows as you want/can add.
- Reheat the plate for another 2 minutes in the microwave.
- Then repeat the process with the remaining 6 shells, and place them on top of the filled halves. Gently press them down to seal them together.
- Let the hot chocolate bombs set for a few minutes.
- Add caramel candy melts to a small microwave safe bowl, and melt them in 30 second increments.
- Add caramel candy melts to a ziptop bag and snip the corner off. Drizzle it over the top of the hot chocolate bombs.
- Top with sprinkles and sea salt, if desired.
To make the Mug of Hot Chocolate:
- Add the hot chocolate bomb to a large mug.
- Heat the milk in a small sauce pan over medium heat, just until the edges of the milk begins to bubble.
- Pour the hot milk over the hot chocolate bomb.
- Stir until the chocolate, hot chocolate mix, and milk are fully combined.
- Enjoy cup of hot cocoa.