Hot chocolate cookies are like a cup of hot cocoa in cookie form, with a soft, rich, chocolate cookie topped with melted chocolate and a gooey marshmallow! Just like your favorite cup of hot chocolate!
These hot chocolate cookies are chewy with a soft middle, topped with melted chocolate and a gooey and chewy marshmallow. They have the same great flavors of a cup of hot cocoa and they are to die for!
When the days are even a little bit cold, I love having the excuse to make a big cup of hot cocoa. These hot chocolate cookies have the same great taste of a mug of cocoa, but in cookie form!
As soon as I saw the idea for hot chocolate cookies I knew I just had to make them! These cookies did not disappoint. They are one of the best chocolate cookies I have ever tried. And I promise you will love them too!
These hot chocolate cookies start with a rich soft chocolate cookie. The cookie is made with actual melted chocolate and cocoa powder to give these cookies a really rich chocolate taste! When the cookies are almost done baking they are topped with a of piece of a chocolate bar, and a marshmallow. They’re put back into the oven until the marshmallow starts to puff up and get gooey. Because of the heat of the cookie and the marshmallow the chocolate bar melts on top of the cookie giving it an extra rich chocolate taste.
These cookies would be perfect for a Christmas or other holiday party! And they’re extra great served with a big mug of hot cocoa, or a cold glass of milk for the ultimate chocolatey treat.
There isn’t much better than curling up in front of a hot fire with a big blanket and a big cup of hot chocolate filled with lots and lots of marshmallows! The only way to make it better is to have a big plate of these cookies too!
How to make hot chocolate cookies?
To make the hot cocoa cookies you’ll melt together some butter and chocolate chips. I used a mix of semi sweet, milk chocolate and bittersweet chocolate chips because its’ what I had. on hand, but any chocolate chips will work. After the chocolate is melted you’ll let it cool for several minutes. Because you’re going to add it directly into your cookie batter.
In a large bowl combine your dry ingredients – you’ll need flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Then in another large bowl you’ll cream together your brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until they are smooth.
You will add your cooled melted chocolate to your egg mixture. Then you will slowly add in your dry ingredients while stirring everything slowly together until mixed.
The dough is super soft, like a thick cake batter, so you’ll need to let it chill for a couple hours. You’ll cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or a lid and place the bowl in the fridge. It needs to chill long enough until it is nice and firm and moldable.
You’ll roll your dough into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cookie dough balls and bake them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner. The cookies are baked for 10 minutes.
Then you’ll top the cookies with a piece of chocolate and a marshmallow and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes until the marshmallow starts to get nice and gooey. Then you’re done.
The cookies are a little too hot to eat right away, so let them cool for a few minutes but then I recommend eating one. The chocolate you put on top will be extra melty and delicious at this point and the cookies are so good when eaten a little warm.
The hot chocolate cookies are chewy on the edges with a soft middle and they are so delicious. They have the same great taste as a mug of hot chocolate, but maybe even a little better.
These cookies are seriously irresistible. And I just know you will love them!
They’re seriously delicious on their own or with a big cup of hot cocoa!
Looking for more Chocolate Holiday Cookies?
- Reindeer Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Rolo Cookies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 24-25 large marshmallows
- 1 large chocolate bar
- Melt together your butter and chocolate chips in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Allow chocolate to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine your dry ingredients (Your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt) Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together your brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add your slightly cooled, melted chocolate mixture to your egg mixture and stir until combined.
- Slowly add in your dry ingredients while stirring until mixed.
- Cover your bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (The dough is like a thick cake batter before refrigerated, so you'll need it to firm up a good amount).
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll your dough into 1 1/2 -2 inch cookie dough balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cookies start to crack.
- Meanwhile, cut your marshmallows in half and cut your chocolate into 1/2 inch pieces (I cut each piece from the bar into 3 pieces)
- Remove from oven and top each cookie with a piece of chocolate and marshmallow and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle grated chocolate over the top of your marshmallows if desired.