Dirt Pudding Cups are such an easy dessert with layers of pudding, crushed up cookies, and creepy crawly gummy worms on top. They’re perfect for Halloween, or fun in the spring too.
I decided to make some adorable creepy crawly dirt pudding cups, by making some quick pudding (I just used instant pudding mix, but you could definitely make your own homemade chocolate pudding), mix it up with some whipped cream and crushed Oreo cookies. Top it with more Oreo cookies for your “dirt” and add some gummy worms on top for the creepy crawly bugs crawling out of the dirt. Add some spider rings for fun too, just make sure no one tries to eat those 😉
These cute treats hit the spot for me when I needed a late night snack, but I just know that kids would love them too. They’d be perfect for a Halloween party too!
How to make Dirt Pudding Cups?
These dirt pudding cups are so simple to make, with only 5 ingredients. You will need instant pudding, milk, whipped cream, Oreo cookies, and gummy worms.
You’ll mix together your instant pudding and milk to prepare the pudding according to the package directions. Fold in some whipped cream and crushed up Oreos. Scoop the pudding mixture into the cups, then spread more of the crushed Oreos “dirt” over the top of the pudding. Top with the gummy worms (and spider rings if you want) and the cups are ready to go.
Now you’ve got a delicious, and adorable treat that kids and adults will love!
Can Dirt Pudding Cups be made in advanced?
The cookies start to soften when they are added to the pudding, so the cups are best if eaten within a few hours of assembling. They should be good when prepared up to 12 hours in advanced, depending how crunchy you like the cookie pieces to be. The worms are also best added within 30 minutes or so of serving.
The ingredients will all be edible for longer, so if you don’t mind soft Oreo pieces then the cups can be refrigerated for a day or two in advanced.
Or you can prepare the pudding and add it to the cups, and refrigerate those till you are ready to serve the cups. Sprinkle the fresh Oreo crumbs and add the worms on top when you’re ready to enjoy these yummy pudding cups.
These dirt pudding cups are a classic fun treat that everyone will love. They’re an amazing chocolatey dessert that is so easy to make, and perfect for so many occasions!
Tips and Tricks:
- If you do not have a food processor you can chop up the cookies on a cutting board using repeated chops then rolling over the smaller crumbs with a rolling pin or smash them up in a plastic back until you have a mix of small and fine crumbs
- Cool whip is a great option for whipping cream but you can make this even richer by making your own whipped cream using this great recipe
- Try topping off your halloween dirt cup with some little candy pumpkins or other fun treats to take this fun idea up a notch and show off your own fun halloween dirt cups at your next halloween party
- After you are done, cover the individual cups with plastic wrap until it is time for friends and family to see how much fun it is to eat what looks like dirt in a cup!
- To add additional precision you can try using a piping bag to fill the pudding into the cup (or to add additional accents on top like some orange or chocolate frosting)
- When you fold the whipped cream into the pudding, do it slowly in a large mixing bowl. It will make sure it’s the right consistency for the dirt layer that will go on top next and for the top of the dirt cup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use different pudding other than chocolate?
You can use different pudding flavors like vanilla pudding or even orange if you want a very halloween look, they just may not look quite as much like dirt but the oreo crumbs still will give it a good mix of color.
Are these the same as pumpkin patch dirt cups or halloween dirt pudding cups or oreo dirt cups?
Yes, they are! There are lots of different names for essentially the same thing- a fun halloween treat for halloween parties in a what looks like a cup of dirt (but actually filled with delicious flavors!) with instant chocolate pudding.
Looking for more Creepy Crawly Recipes?
- Dirt Cupcakes
- Spider Cookies
- Dirt Cake on Life Love and Sugar
- Dirt Pudding Trifle on Whisk Together
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
Dirt Pudding Cups
- 15 oz Oreos
- 3.9 oz instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 8 oz cool whip (or 3 cups homemade whipped cream)
- 20 Gummy Worms
- 10 Spider Rings
- Pulse your oreo cookies into a fine crumb, with a food processor, or by pounding them with a rolling pin in a ziplock bag. Set aside.
- Make the pudding mix according to the package directions.
- Fold the whipped cream into the pudding.
- Add half of the Oreo crumbs into the pudding mix.
- Scoop the pudding mixture into each of your cups.
- Add remaining Oreo crumbs evenly over the top of each of your pudding cups.
- Place 2 gummy worms into each pudding cup.
- Place 1 spider on each pudding cup.
Dirt Pudding first posted on October 10, 2014. Photos updated on September 30, 2019.
Terrible recipe ughh didn’t turn out like yours and i followed every step UGHHHHHHH
I’m so sorry Mary. It must’ve not saved my updated instructions, but I just used store bought pudding, and layered it in my own cups instead of snack pudding cups. That’s the only difference. What was the problem with yours?