This homemade whipped cream is soft, creamy, and lightly sweet. It’s perfect for using on top of pies, cakes, cupcakes, and more.
This homemade whipped cream is only 3 minutes, and can be made in just a few minutes. It’s so much better than the store bought stuff, and is the perfect topping for your favorite dessert and breakfast recipes.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this homemade whipped cream recipe. The specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- heavy whipping cream or heavy cream
- powdered sugar – you can substitute granulated sugar too
- vanilla extract
How to make Homemade Whipped Cream?
- Add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to a stand mixer or large mixing bowl.
- Start mixing with your stand mixer whisk, or hand mixer on low speed then turn up the speed as you go.
- Let the cream whip until you have stiff peaks.
- Serve on your favorite desserts.
Tips and Tricks:
- This recipe can easily be doubled if you need a large amount.
- You can add a little more or less sugar, depending how sweet you want your whipped cream to be.
- Make sure your heavy cream is cold before mixing it. You can also chill your bowl if your house is extra warm to keep your peaks stiff.
- You can also try substituting your vanilla extract for some peppermint, almond, lemon extracts, etc. for another yummy flavor.
- I like to scoop my whipped cream into a bag with a 1M piping tip to make nice rosettes of whipped cream on my desserts.
- If you don’t have an electric mixer (a hand mixer or a stand mixer), this recipe might be a little more difficult for you. This recipe requires constant mixing a few minutes and will hurt your hand a lot if you whip it that way.
How to use homemade whipped cream?
This stuff is so yummy you might want to eat it by the spoonful. You can do that, use it on whatever breakfast or dessert you want, or in recipes that call for cool whip, or whipped cream already. Here are some of my favorite desserts to add it to:
- Pumpkin Pie
- Lemon Cream Pie or Key Lime Pie
- Fruit Pies
- Pudding Pies
- Molten Lava Cakes
- Pancakes, waffles, or French toast
- Poke Cakes
- Icebox Cakes
- Fruit Crisps
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Hot Chocolate
How to store?
Store any leftover whipped cream in an airtight container in the coldest part of your fridge. You can store it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
You can also freeze any leftovers. Drop it by the spoonful, or pipe it in small piles onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and freeze. Once they are frozen you can transfer each of the piles to a freezer safe bag, or other freezer safe container for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to use them again just add the dollops on top of your hot chocolate, pie, cheesecake etc. It’ll melt right into the hot chocolate from frozen. And just give it about 15 minutes to thaw on whatever you’re serving the dollops on.
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 TBS vanilla extract
- Add all the ingredients to a stand mixer, or large mixing bowl.
- Beat the ingredients with a whisk attachment starting at low speed.
- Raise the speed to high speed, and continue mixing until the cream has stiff peaks.
- Store in the fridge, or serve immediately on top of your favorite desserts.
This homemade whipped cream was first posted on May 5, 2011. The photos and text were updated on Oct 31, 2022.