A creamy soup made from delicata squash, the perfect comfort food – delicata squash soup.
I made this creamy soup with delicata squash, it is perfectly smooth, creamy, and comforting which is just what you want for a cool or cold evening. This delicata squash soup is sweet and savory, smooth and thick; just what comfort soup should be.
Delicata squash is a winter squash with long green stripes on a yellow background. It is sometimes called a peanut squash or Bohemian squash or sweet potato squash. It is in the same family as zucchini and yellow crook necked squash and a good source of fiber and potassium. The seeds can be saved, toasted, and eaten. The squash is often served baked, but can be microwaved, steamed, or sauteed. And as you will discover here – made into a delicious delicata squash soup.
Delicata Squash Soup
- 1 delicata squash
- 1/3 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 4 dried sage leaves (crushed)
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
- Wash the outside of your squash and cut in half
- Scoop out the seeds (clean and save for toasting)
- Place your squash pulp side down in a baking pan with 1/8 to 1/4 inch water
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until fork tender, cool to handle
- Melt butter and saute your onions in a large sauce pan
- Scoop out your squash pulp, add to your onions, and mix together
- Add your chicken broth and half and half to the onions/squash mixture
- Add your spices, simmer
- Cook over low to medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, breaking up the larger chunks of squash
- In your blender, slow pour your soup mixture in
- With the lid on but not the clear pour lid (I put my hand gingerly over the hole) blend on low until smooth
- Pour soup back into the saucepan
- Heat for about 5 more minutes to blend flavors
Enjoy this heart warming fall soup with crackers, croutons or toast or even some pine nuts and cheese sprinkled on top.