These Gender reveal cupcakes are so easy to make, with your favorite cupcake recipe filled with colored m&ms revealing the gender of the baby when you bite right in! Top them with the best thick and creamy homemade buttercream frosting and sprinkles for the perfect gender reveal party dessert!
If you follow us on instagram you may have seen that I am pregnant with baby number two! I’m almost 22 weeks along, due in the beginning of March, and grateful to be more than half way done with this pregnancy.
We found out the gender of the baby a few weeks ago, and waited till our 20 week ultrasound to confirm, and I wanted to share it with you too!
These easy cupcakes are the perfect way to share the gender of your baby with your friends and family. They are fun, simple to make and such a great way to share your fun news.
So I made these adorable and did I mention super easy gender reveal cupcakes to share on the blog, and to tell you our news!
How to make Gender Reveal Cupcakes?
- These cupcakes start with a white cake mix, or your own yellow or white cake recipe, you’ll mix it and bake in a muffin tin with cupcake liners, according to the directions on the box. After the cupcakes are baked, you’ll let them cool completely.
- Then you’ll cut the top center piece out of the cupcake with a small knife, and trim off the bottoms of the center piece, and keep the tops as a lid. Fill the center of the cupcake with your colored m&ms (choose blue or pink, depending on the gender of the baby – if you can find mini m&ms, even better!) and put the center lid piece back onto the cupcake.
- Add your favorite frosting to the top of the cupcake with a knife or by putting it into a piping bag and piping it on top (my favorite tip is a 1M by Wilton) , and sprinkle them each with pink sprinkles and blue sprinkles.
I used an amazing, but simple, homemade buttercream frosting to top my cupcakes. You can use canned frosting, or your favorite recipe too.
Frost the cupcakes in any pattern, which I am terrible at, if you can’t tell, so I went for a thick messy look and hope that the sprinkles on top will distract enough from the messy frosting on top.
For this buttercream frosting you just need butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract, almond extract, and a dash of salt. This frosting is perfection, its creamy, buttery, and sweet and I’ll be using this recipe again and again.
Now back to the cupcakes! I am excited to announce that baby 2 is another baby BOY!!! We can’t wait to have another little adventurous boy join our family and hope that our two little boys can be the best of buds!
These delicious vanilla cupcakes are so delicious, and so much fun. It’s such a cute and easy way to share baby’s gender with family or friends – with a quick bite to see the color in the middle of the cupcake and share the big news!
More cupcake recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Gender Reveal Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix (eggs, oils, and water as called for on the box)
- blue or pink m&ms (or mini m&ms)
- 2 cups white buttercream frosting
- blue and white sprinkles
For the Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TBS heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 dash salt
- Mix cake mix, eggs, oil and water as called for on the box (or prepare your favorite white cupcake recipe)
- Bake according to package directions.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut the center out of the cupcake top, remove the bottom of the piece and keep the top like a lid.
- Fill the whole with your pink or blue m&ms
- Return the top over the m&ms
- Frost with homemade buttercream.
- Decorate cupcakes with blue and pink sprinkles.
For the Buttercream Frosting
- Cream together the butter and powdered sugar on low until well blended.
- Add in the heavy cream, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt and beat on medium speed until mixed.
- Beat for another 3-4 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Spread onto your desired cake, cookies or ^^^ cupcakes.