This Graham Central Station ice cream is a creamy graham cracker ice cream, with a graham cracker swirl and chocolate covered honeycomb candy pieces.
This graham central station ice cream is one of my favorite ice cream flavors, with a rich graham cracker flavored ice cream base that is swirled with thick bands of buttery graham cracker ripple, and crunchy chocolate covered honey comb candies. It’s my favorite flavor to order when I go to the local ice cream shop
This graham central station ice cream is a copycat version of the delicious flavor you’ll find at many favorite ice cream shops, including Handel’s Ice Cream, Bruster’s, locations that sell Hershey’s Ice Cream, and more. It’s also like Graham Canyon Ice Cream you’ll find from the BYU Creamery.
I love making homemade versions of my favorite ice cream flavors, like our Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream, or Butter Pecan Ice Cream. Homemade ice cream is one of my favorite ways to cool down from the summer heat.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Graham Central Station Ice Cream Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- Heavy Cream – you can use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream for this recipe, this keeps the ice cream super rich and creamy with the right amount of fat content.
- Whole Milk – Stick with whole milk for the best fat ratios, for a super creamy ice cream
- Light Brown Sugar – I like brown sugar for this recipe to give it a more caramel color and flavor, you can substitute granulated sugar instead
- Vanilla extract – helps add a little flavor to the ice cream base.
- Graham Cracker Squares – these are soaked to make a graham cracker flavored ice cream base, and then the crushed graham crackers are made into a graham swirl (similar to an unbaked graham cracker pie crust, but swirled throughout the ice cream)
- Salt – just a pinch of salt to balance the flavor.
- Chocolate Covered Honeycomb Candies – these add the best crunchy bites
- Mini chocolate chips – these add a nice extra burst of chocolate and texture to the ice cream
- Granulated Sugar – for the graham cracker crumb
- Melted Butter – for the graham cracker crumb
How to make Graham Central Station Ice Cream?
- Add the milk and graham crackers to a medium bowl and stir them together. Cover the bowl and let the cookies soak for about 1 hour. The graham crackers should totally dissolve, but you can blend the mixture up in a blender, or push it through a fine mesh strainer to remove any pieces that are bigger.
- Add the graham cracker milk mixture to a large bowl, and add in the heavy cream, brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt for a couple minutes until the sugar starts to dissolve.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared 2QT ice cream maker and let it run for 25 to 30 minutes, according to your manufactures directions until its like soft serve ice cream.
- While the ice cream is churning, crush the remaining graham crackers into a fine crumb. Mix the crumbs, granulated sugar and butter in a small bowl, and set them aside until needed.
- The last 5 minutes of churning in the ice cream maker, add the honey comb candy pieces, and mini chocolate chips and let them mix in until mixed evenly into the ice cream.
- Scoop 1/3 of the ice cream into a 2 QT container (a 9×5 bread pan works great for this) and sprinkle about 1/3 of the graham cracker crumble. Then add another 1/3 of the ice cream, more graham cracker, more ice cream, and the final crumble on top of the ice cream. Cover the container with plastic wrap and foil, or a lid and place it in the freezer for at least 6 hours, or overnight to harden into a scoopable ice cream.
Tips and Tricks:
- Don’t forget to pre-freeze your ice cream machine bowl. Mine takes at least 12 hours to be frozen solid in a very cold deep freezer so it will churn my ice cream, some might take 24 hours. Leave it in your freezer to use whenever you’re ready if you have extra room. (Also, I needed a 2QT ice cream maker for this, if yours is 1.5 you’ll probably have to churn the ice cream in batches)
- If you can’t find honeycomb candy, and don’t want to make it either – you can try using chopped up toffee pieces, or Heath bits, or Buncha Crunch for a similar crunchy texture, but different flavor.
- This recipe makes about 2 quarts of ice cream, that means it makes about 8, 1 cup servings of ice cream.
- Top your bowls of ice cream with salty caramel sauce, and top with sprinkles of more honey comb candy.
What flavor is Graham Central Station Ice Cream?
Graham central station is graham flavored ice cream with a crunchy graham cracker swirl and loaded with chocolate covered honeycomb candies throughout.
What is Honeycomb Candy?
Honeycomb candy is a caramel toffee flavored candy that is crunchy, and airy. It is popular in England, Canada, and Australia, but not as much in the United States. The candy is also sometimes called sponge candy (because it has holes throughout to look like a sponge), seafoam candy, sponge tofee, or hokey pokey.
I was able to find some from a local grocery store called Maceys for this recipe, but you can order some Crunchie bars from Amazon, find it at some old fashioned candy shops, or even make your own.
How to store Graham Cracker Ice Cream?
Store this homemade graham central station ice cream in a freezer safe container with a lid for up to 1 month for the best results. If you keep the ice cream sealed tightly in the coldest part of your freezer it will stay good for longer periods of time. After a longer time the ice cream texture may become grainy, and may get ice crystals on top.
This homemade graham cracker ice cream is such a delicious buttery, sweet graham flavor in the ice cream with ripples of a crunchy graham cracker swirl throughout. It’s a favorite ice cream flavor at our house and this easy to make at home version will have you making it on repeat for the rest of the summer, I think it will be a new flavor favorite at your house too.
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Graham Central Station Ice Cream
For the Graham Cracker Ice Cream Base:
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 whole graham crackers
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the Graham Cracker Swirl:
- 4 whole graham cracker cookies
- 2 TBS melted butter
- 1/2 TBS sugar
For Mix Ins:
- 1 cup chopped chocolate covered honeycomb candies
- 6 TBS mini chocolate chips
- Large Mixing Bowl
For the Graham Cracker Ice Cream Base:
- Add the graham crackers and milk to a medium bowl and stir them together. Cover the bowl and place it back in the fridge to let the cookies soak for about 30 mins to 1 hour. The graham crackers should mostly dissolve, but you can blend the mixture in a blender, or push it through a fine mesh strainer to remove bigger pieces.
- Add the graham cracker and milk mixture to a large bowl, add in the heavy cream, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and stir it together for a couple minutes to help the sugar dissolve.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared 2QT ice cream maker and let it run for about 25 minutes, according to the manufactures directions, until it's almost like a soft serve ice cream.
For the Graham Cracker Swirl:
- While the ice cream is churning crush the graham crackers in a blender into a fine crumb. Then mix the graham crackers, in a small bowl with the sugar and butter.
For Mix Ins:
- Add the honey comb candy pieces and mini chocolate chips and let them churn into the ice cream the last 5 minutes until mixed evenly into the ice cream.
- Scoop about 1/4 to 1/3 of the ice cream into a 2QT pan (a 9×5 bread pan works great for this). Then sprinkle 1/3 of the graham cracker crumble over the top. Repeat with more ice cream, more crumble, more ice cream and the final crumble.
- Cover the container with a lid, or with plastic wrap and foil and place in the freezer to freeze for at least 6 hours until frozen solid, into a scoopable ice cream.