Homemade caramels are so easy to make in the microwave in just one bowl, with no candy thermometer! They are perfectly soft and chewy and so delicious!
Soft caramels are one of my favorite candy treats, and I love making them at home in the microwave! These microwave caramels are only 5 ingredients and made in only about 6 minutes in your microwave! I love making treats in the microwave all year long, but treats like this are great for the holidays because we have so much going on! I don’t want to stop and spend hours in the kitchen slaving away, but I still want delicious candies to eat and to share with our friends and neighbors.
These caramels can be taken to the next level with a little sprinkle of sea salt on top, or a drizzle of chocolate.
When they’ve cooled and settled, you can leave them in the pan covered with plastic wrap, or cut them up and wrap them in wax paper to share! They’re perfect for Christmas goodie plates!
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Add all ingredients to a large microwave safe bowl. (The mixture will bubble up quite high, so make sure its really big)
- Microwave for 2 minutes, then stir till smooth.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, and stir again.
- Microwave for another 2 minutes, and stir till completely smooth.
- Test if the mixture is done by dropping a small bit into a bowl of ice water. Remove it from the water and the caramel should be a small pliable ball. If it is too soft microwave for another 30 seconds to a minute till its right.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 square pan (or line with parchment for extra easy removal)
- Allow caramel to sit until completely cooled. (Place in the fridge to cool quicker - about 20 to 30 minutes)
- Remove from pan and cut into squares. Wrap in wax paper or store in airtight container.
Stacy Huss says
I love this recipe! I quit making caramels because it took so long standing at the stove while they cooked. These caramels are delicious and easy! Thank you so much for sharing!
Yay! I’m so glad to hear that!
Hi, I had no idea making caramels was so easy! Thank you! I made these to go on cookie plates we’re giving out as Christmas gifts.. The caramel was delicious on it’s own, but I added some chopped cashews on the pan bottom, before pouring the hot caramel in. Thanks again for sharing this delicious recipe, great photos, and detailed instructions!