These healthy Italian stuffed peppers with ground meat, rice, veggies, and cheese. So yummy.
These delicious Italian stuffed peppers were inspired by somethings we got in our “Bountiful Basket“. What is Bountiful Basket you ask? Basically you pay about 16.50 a week to get a variety of 6 different fruits, and 6 different vegetables. And its a surprise – so you have no idea what will be in your basket each week. You have to sign up by Tuesday night at 10PM and you will pick your basket up on Saturday morning, our time is 7AM. And everything is as organic as possible (you can pay 10 more for completely organic) and as local as possible too.
We have participated in this for the past 2 weeks, and we have been happy with what we have gotten. We are trying to eat healthier and we figured getting more fruits and veggies was a great place to start. Anyway, you get a lot of stuff and since its a surprise its a fun way to try new things. We actually haven’t gotten anything too weird yet, and we’re okay with that.
Our first week we got green peppers in our basket and I had actually purchased a red and a green pepper from the store a week before (the hope is also we won’t have to buy fruits and vegetables from the grocery store). Well, we needed to use our peppers and we also had onions and tomatoes to use and so I came up with this recipe.
These stuffed peppers aren’t too hard to make, and they are full of so much delicious flavor with lots of yummy ingredients. Plus because they have lean turkey meat and aren’t topped with too much cheese they are fairly healthy for you too!
Italian Stuffed Peppers
- 6 peppers
- 1/2 large onion (diced)
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 TBS minced garlic
- 1 TBS oil
- 3/4 lbs ground turkey*
- 1 1/2 TBS italian herbs (divided)
- 6 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded mozarella
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the tops of your peppers off and remove seeds. Dice your pepper tops.
- Add diced pepper, onion, tomato, garlic and oil to a saute pan.
- Saute the vegetables and garlic for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Meanwhile in another pan brown ground turkey with 1 TBS italian herbs.
- Add tomato sauce, the remaining 1/2 TBS of italian seasonings and salt to your vegetables and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, and rice to your vegetable mixture. Stir well.
- Make sure your peppers stand evenly, if not, cut a little of the bottom off to even if out.
- Stuff as much of the rice, turkey, vegetable mixture into each pepper.
- Put stuffed peppers on a baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes in your preheated oven.
- Top each pepper with mozzarella.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes till mozzarella is golden brown.
Enjoy these delicious and healthy italian peppers for a family meal!
These are my favorite and so easy to make! I make them for dinner guests all of the time. What do y’all pair these with? Thanks for a great recipe!
I love them with some grilled corn, a salad, or other roasted veggies
Rose Martine says
YUMMY!!!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe! I’ve heard about your blog a couple of times and will now spend my afternoon reading 🙂
I am so glad you came and visited us and stayed. We hope you find lots of great recipes that you and your family will love.
Alandria Johnson says
I found this recipe on Pinterest when I was looking for eggless entrees. By leaving the cheese off of my pepper, it’s also dairy free! This was perfect for everyone! The stuffing was so good that we’re going to try the stuffing as a casserole. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe.
Aimee Berrett says
I’m so glad that you all liked it! I actually have a stuffed pepper casserole recipe that you might like http://lmld.org/2015/07/25/stuffed-pepper-casserole/ you can leave the cheese off that one to make it dairy free too.
Do you happen to know the calorie intake of 1 pepper? I’m making these tonight, can’t wait!!!!!!!!!
Aimee Berrett says
I’m sorry Kathy, I haven’t computed the calories on these peppers, you might be able to figure it out online if you enter the ingredients and servings in a calorie counter online.
Hope you like them!!
made these last night and they were delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
Aimee Berrett says
So glad you liked them!!
Katie P. says
I’m working my way through all of your recipes, 🙂
These were excellent. You completely forgot to mention that these are so filling that you can only eat one!
Haha, I’m sorry that I forgot to mention that. Yes, they are filling you can only eat 1, or sometimes part of 1. But they reheat decent.