These Mexican Stuffed Peppers are delicious bell peppers stuffed full of rice, corn, black beans, chicken and the perfect seasonings, and baked until golden and tender. Perfect for a healthier dinner option!
These Mexican Stuffed Peppers are such a delicious twist for taco night! They are packed full of a delicious loaded, seasoned rice mixture that is full of tomatoes, corn, black beans, and chicken.
We’ve made stuffed peppers a couple of times now, and every time we make them I remember how good they are and wonder why I don’t make them more often.
What to serve with Mexican Stuffed Pepper?
Serve these with any of your Mexican favorites, here are some of my favorites!
- Refried Beans or Black Beans
- Grilled Corn or Mexican Street Corn
- Chips and Salsa
How to make Mexican Stuffed Peppers?
Cut the tops of your bell peppers and remove the seeds. Set them aside until you’re ready to stuff them.
In a large sauce pan, add a little olive oil and heat it up over medium high heat. Then add in your diced onion and cook it for a few minutes until it starts to get soft. Transfer it to a plate.
Then add in a little more oil and add in your chicken pieces. Cook until the chicken is cooked throughout, stirring once or twice to get the pieces of chicken brown on multiple sides.
Scoop the rice filling into each of the peppers to fill them.
Then sprinkle the tops with shredded cheese.
Place the stuffed peppers in a 9×13 baking pan. Bake until the cheese is melted, the peppers are tender, and the inside is hot throughout.
Serve it all with your favorite taco toppings!
What to top Mexican Stuffed Peppers?
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Sliced Avocado or Guacamole
- Hot Sauce
Tips for making Mexican Stuffed Peppers?
- If you want to make these a bit lighter, substitute your rice with some cauliflower rice.
- If you want to make this dish even quicker, instead of cooking your own chicken use up some leftover rotisserie chicken, or other grilled chicken you might have.
- Substitute ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground beef for the chicken breast.
- You could also leave the chicken out of the peppers if you want to make these vegetarian instead.
- You can also sub a bunch of the other ingredients, fresh tomatoes instead of canned, pinto beans instead of black beans, etc.
- If you have any leftover filling ingredients they are perfect for filling up some tacos!
- These stuffed peppers are a great make-ahead dinner option. Fill the peppers up and place them in the pan, cover the pan and refrigerate them up to 24 hours before baking them. Add a few extra minutes to the baking time to make up for their cold filling.
- These stuffed peppers also reheat well. Toss them in the microwave, airfryer or oven to reheat them until they are hot throughout.
These Mexican stuffed peppers are the perfect flavorful, healthy, and delicious dinner!
More easy dinner recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 8 medium bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 cup corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup canned tomatoes (drained)
- 1 TBS taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the tops of your bell peppers, and cut out the seeds and veins. Set them aside.
- Add 1 TBS of the olive oil to a large saute pan and heat it over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and cook it for about 5 minutes until it is tender. Scoop the onion into a large bowl for later.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the saute pan and then add in your chicken pieces. Cook the chicken until cooked throughout, stirring once or twice as it cooks to let the sides of the chicken brown a little.
- Add the chicken to the bowl, add in the rice, corn, black beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and enchilada sauce. Stir it all together.
- Scoop the rice filling into each pepper to fill them to the top.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top of the peppers.
- Bake the stuffed peppers in a 9x13 baking pan until the cheese is golden, the peppers are tender, and the filling is hot throughout. About 35-45 minutes. (Cover with foil if your cheese starts to turn more brown than you'd like)
- Serve with your favorite taco seasonings.
These Mexican stuffed peppers were first posted on March 31, 2014. The photos and text were updated for clarity on October 25, 2021.