This delicious Salami pizza is a great easy recipe that everyone will love. It’s topped with Italian salami, banana peppers, red onion, and lots of cheese and is a definite winner!
Craig and I recently came home from an amazing trip to Portugal, Spain and Italy. While we were in Italy we visited some of our friends. Their daughter Marta lived with us for a year while she was a foreign exchange student. It was so nice to meet her parents and enjoy time with them, and in their town.
Before dinner they often served us a nice appetizer of cheeses and meats. The cheeses and salami were so good, I could have made a whole meal from just them.
Since coming home I found some authentic Italian salami, and enjoyed it with cheese and crackers, but I also decided to make a pizza with it. This tasty Italian Salami pizza was born.
I used my favorite pizza dough recipe, topped it with some marinara sauce, mozzarella, then salami, sliced sweet peppers, red onions, and grape tomatoes, and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. It turned out to be an amazing combination, and will definitely be on repeat at our home!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Salami Pizza recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- pizza dough – make your own pizza dough at home, or grab your favorite from the grocery store or your favorite pizza shop
- marinara sauce – I recommend making your own pizza sauce at home, grab some canned tomato sauce or Italian diced tomatoes, and add in your favorite seasonings. If you don’t want to make it at home you can grab a jar from the store.
- shredded mozzarella cheese and fresh mozzarella pearls – I love the mix of the two for the best cheesy texture
- freshly grated parmesan cheese – adds a little extra saltiness, and cheesiness
- Italian salami – the key to this pizza, it’s flavorful and adds such a good flavor to this pizza.
- red onion – slice up some red onion, or yellow onion, or leave it off if you don’t like it.
- peppers – you could use banana peppers, jalapeno peppers for spice, or bell peppers for a little more sweetness. I used banana peppers for this
- fresh basil or fresh parsley – adds a nice green color and fresh flavor
How to make Salami Pizza?
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, or an outdoor pizza oven as hot as it will go. Place a pizza stone in the oven to let the stone heat. Prepare the pizza dough, whether homemade or from the store, so it is raised, and ready to roll out into a pizza.
- Sprinkle a pizza paddle (you can use metal or wooden) lightly with corn meal, and roll out the pizza dough into a large circle about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick (depending on your preferences).
- Spread the prepared pizza sauce over the top of the crust. Then evenly sprinkle it with mozzarella cheese. Add salami slices evenly over the cheese.
- Then spread peppers and red onion over the top of the salami if desired. Sprinkle grated parmigiano and fresh mozzarella balls over the top.
- Carefully transfer the pizza to the pizza stone and bake for 10-14 minutes, or until the cheese is evenly melted. (You can also bake it in a pizza oven until golden, we love ours)
- Garnish the pizza with parmesan, and fresh parsley or basil, and slice it up and enjoy hot.
Tips for making Italian Salami Pizza:
- I love topping my pepperoni and salami pizzas with some hot honey when serving it, but it does add a little kick 😉
- Add your choice of vegetable toppings to the pizza after you add the salami pieces. Some yummy choices are green peppers, banana peppers, red onions, grape tomatoes, or olives.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What type of salami is best on pizza?
The best salami for pizza depends on your preferences. For a deeper flavor use genoa salami. It is flavored with garlic and red wine. For a more spicy salami use Soppressata or Picante salami.
What should I serve with salami pizza?
Salami pizza can be complemented with several dishes to enhance your meal. Here are some of my favorites.
- Fresh salad – a side salad, or side caesar salad can both be refreshing and balance out the richness of salami pizza
- Garlic bread – incase you love garbs, you can never go wrong with garlic bread, or cheesy bread, or breadsticks on the side.
- Roasted Vegetables – roasted vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, bell peppers, or squash are great tasty, and healthy side dishes to accompany your salami pizza.
- Fresh Fruit – your favorite fresh fruit, or an easy fruit salad is a great easy, and refreshing side dish for pairing with this pizza.
This salami pizza is such a yummy twist on Italian flavors. It’s delicious, and flavorful, and will be loved by all!
More pizza recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Italian Salami Pizza
Italian Salami Pizza
- 1 pizza dough**
- cornmeal and flour mixture (for dusting)
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (or marinara sauce)
- 2 cups low moisture mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 3 oz fresh mozzarella
- 4 oz Italian salami (cut in half)
- 1/4 cup banana peppers (drained, and patted dry)
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano cheese
- 2 TBS fresh basil
- 1 TBS fresh parsley
Italian Salami Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a baking stone into the oven to let it preheat with the oven. (Or preheat a pizza oven)
- Sprinkle a wooden or metal pizza paddle with corn meal mixed with flour.
- Separate the pizza dough in half and roll one section of the pizza dough out to make a 12-14inch pizzas onto the prepared paddle, to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick according to your desired thickness.
- Spread the marinara sauce evenly all over the pizza crust, leaving about 1/2 inch on the edge of the crust.
- Sprinkle the grated mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Lay out the salami slices over the top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle the banana peppers and red onion pieces over the salami.
- Place the fresh mozzarella balls and sprinkle the grated Parmegiana cheese evenly over the whole pizza.
- Transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza for 10 to 15 minutes or until the dough is done and the cheese is melted. (Or bake for 2-3 minutes in a pizza oven)
- Remove the pizza from the oven, and garnish the pizza with fresh basil or parsley
- Let the pizza cool for 3 to 4 minutes, then slice and serve warm.
This Italian Salami pizza was first posted on June 2, 2014. The photos and text were updated for clarity on August 18, 2023.