This red white and blue poke cake is perfect for the Fourth of July, with the white and blue cake topped with red, whipped cream, and fresh strawberries and blueberries. It’s easy and perfect for a crowd!
This red white and blue jello poke cake is extra moist thanks to the jello you’ll find throughout the cake. It’s beautiful, and festive, and perfect for your events this summer, no matter how big or small they may be.
It’s almost the Fourth of July, so I figured now is the perfect time to share this delicious red white and blue jello cake with you! I shared it originally on Dessert Now Dinner Later because my friend Amber was taking time off to enjoy with her new baby. Now it’s been 5 years, and I’ve got some fresh photos and fresh tips for making this cake just right.
This red white and blue poke cake is perfect for the Fourth of July, because of course it’s lovely red, white, and blue colors throughout – with the white cake, blue jello, white whipped cream, and fresh red berries on top. I added a few blueberries on top too, because I love the red white and blue on top of the cake too, but you could just stick with all strawberries, all raspberries, or a mix of them all like I did.
This cake is so easy and perfect to make for a group barbecue or to share while watching the fireworks.
This was the first poke cake I ever made! But once I made it I realized how easy they are, and how moist, and delicious too. And I’m never turning back. Since then I’ve made a bunch for amazing poke cakes, like this banana pudding poke cake, lemon poke cake, or chocolate poke cake!
How to make a Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake?
First you’ll start with a white boxed cake mix. You’ll need the oil, eggs/egg whites, and water as called for on the box too. Or of course you can make your own favorite white cake recipe. You’ll mix the batter in a large bowl, then pour it into a greased 9×13 pan and bake the cake according to the package directions, or until it’s a nice golden color on top, and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for a bit, while you make the jello. Bring a cup of water to boil and add your jello mix to it and stir till the powder is dissolved. Then add in some more cold water to the jello. Poke holes all over the top of the cake using a fork, or wooden spoon, then pour the jello over the top of the cake evenly. Cover it and place it in the fridge for a few hours.
Spread cool whip (or homemade whipped cream) over the top of the cooled cake and arrange evenly berries over the top. You can put them in thick stripes like we did, thin stripes (like one row of each berry then another), decorate it to look like a american flag, or however you decide. Store the cake for another hour before serving, up to overnight.
Cover any extras with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. The cake should stay good in the fridge for 2 or 3 days.
This cake can also be made in advanced in case you want no fuss on the actual day of your event. Just make sure to store it in the fridge till you need it. And remember the berries may be best if you add them closer to your serving date, because they will soften the longer they are on the cake, and may stain the white whipped cream with their colors too.
This red white and blue jello poke cake is the perfect dessert for a Fourth of July BBQ. It’s easy, cool and refreshing, moist, sweet, and so delicious. It’s patriotic, and beautiful and everyone will love it!
Looking for more red, white, and blue recipes?
- Patriotic White Chocolate Popcorn
- Red White and Blueberry Cheesecake
- American Flag Cake
- Red White Blue Trifle
- Red White and Blue Jello Cups
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake
- 1 white cake mix (and ingredients called for on box (oil, egg whites and water))
- 3 oz box blue raspberry jello (powder only)
- 1 1/2 cups water (divided)
- 8 oz cool whip
- 1-2 cups strawberries (sliced)
- 1-2 cup blueberries
- 1-2 cups raspberries
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Prepare your cake mix in a large mixing bowl according to package directions. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake in oven according to package directions. (Mine was 350 degrees for 29 minutes)
- Allow your cake to cool for about 30 minutes when done baking.
- Bring 1 cup of water to boil in a small pot over medium heat. Dump in your jello mix and stir till dissolved. Add in your remaining 1/2 cup of water (it should be cold!) and stir.
- Poke holes into your cake using a fork, and space them about an inch apart. Pour jello evenly over the top of your cake. Cover the cake and place it in your fridge for 3 hours.
- Spread cool whip over the top of your cake evenly. Arrange strawberry slices over the top of your cool whip as desired (Or arrange blueberries in one corner in a square, and strawberries in striped to make a flag)
- Store in fridge for 1 hour before serving.
This red white and blue jello poke cake was first posted on June 30, 2015. Photos updated on June 24, 2020.
For more red white and blue treats, I think you’ll like these: