These snickerdoodle cookies are simple cookie to make, they’re soft and chewy, with a cinnamon sugar coating.
Can I tell you a secret? When I was younger my mom would walk me to elementary school, and then back home after. Back then my family had a secret word. The secret word would have been used in case of emergency. In case someone I didn’t know needed to come pick me, or my brother, up from school. Our parents would tell them the secret word, and we would know it was someone we could trust. Our secret word was… snickerdoodle.
Every time I make snickerdoodles I think of that secret word.
And the cookies always turn out so good. They are such a delicious and simple cookie.
Snickerdoodles have a sugar cookie like dough, that is rolled into balls, and then rolled in the perfect mix of cinnamon and sugar. These snickerdoodle cookies are soft, and chewy, and sweet, and coated in just the right amount of cinnamon sugar.
Like I said before, snickerdoodle cookies are similar to a sugar cookie, but they have cream of tartar in the dough. Cream of tartar adds a slight tanginess to the cookie, which sets them apart from sugar cookies. Cream of tartar is needed to make the classic snickerdoodle.
How to make Snickerdoodle Cookies?
These snickerdoodle cookies start like any other cookie dough. You’ll cream together your butter and sugar, until they’re light and fluffy. Then add in the vanilla extract and eggs. Then add in your dry ingredients, flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Mix it all together till you have a nice soft dough.
Roll the dough into 2 tablespoon sized balls. This cookie scoop is great for that. Then dip the balls in your cinnamon sugar coating and roll them all around to cover them in it completely.
Bake the cookies on a lined cookie sheet for about 11-12 minutes until the cookies start to crack on the top. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
These snickerdoodles are soft, and chewy, sweet, and a little tangy. And they’ll be gobbled up in no time!
Looking for more Cookie Recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add your eggs and vanilla to your butter and stir well.
- Dump in your flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt and slowly mix in until combined.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar together for coating in a small bowl.
- Roll cookie dough into about 2 TBS sized balls.
- Dip balls in cinnamon sugar mixture and roll around to coat.
- Place cookies on a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until cookies are lightly golden.
- Allow to cool for a couple minutes on cookie sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy these delicious sweet cookies with a cinnamon sugar coating!