This sour cream peach pie is a delicious pie full of a sour cream custard, lots of juicy peaches, all topped with the best crunchy brown sugar streusel topping.
This sour cream peach pie is a delicious peach pie that is like a peaches and cream pie. It’s full of sliced peaches, surrounded by a creamy sour cream custard filling. All topped with the best buttery, crumbly, brown sugar streusel on top.
This pie is a great one to make in the late summer season when you can grab the freshest peaches from your own trees, or the grocery store. But it’s also great to make and add to the Thanksgiving dessert table. It’s a beautiful pie that you’ll want to enjoy all year long.
Ingredients needed to make a Sour Cream Peach Pie:
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Egg Yolks
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
How to make a sour cream peach pie?
Start with your pie crust, you can make a homemade crust (you only need 1) or you can buy one from the store. Roll it out and spread it into a deep dish 9inch pie plate, pressing it into the corners and against the sides. Place the crust in the fridge until you’re ready.
In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, sour cream, egg yolks, flour, vanilla, and salt. Stir them together until nice and smooth.
Add half of your sliced peaches into the bottom of the prepared pie crust, then pour half of your custard over the top. Repeat with the remaining peaches and the rest of the custard.
In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg for your streusel topping. Cut in the butter with two forks or a pastry cutter until you have a nice crumbly mixture. Sprinkle it over the top of the custard.
Place the pie in the oven and bake it until the streusel is golden, and the custard is mostly set (the middle can be a little jiggly).
Let the pie cool for at least 1 hour before slicing. If you’re not eating it right away store it in the fridge so the custard doesn’t spoil.
Should I use fresh, frozen, or canned peaches?
You can make this pie with fresh peaches, frozen peaches, or even canned peaches – whichever is in season, or you can get your hands on. If you’re using frozen peaches to make this pie, let them thaw to room temperature, and scoop them out of the bowl so the juices get left behind. If you’re using canned peaches, make sure to drain out all their liquid and you can reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup if desired.
How to store sour cream peach pie?
This sour cream peach pie must be stored in the fridge to prevent the custard from spoiling. If you have any leftovers make sure to keep them wrapped up in plastic wrap or foil and in the fridge. They can be stored for up to 3 or 4 days in the fridge.
Tips for making sour cream peach pie:
- Instead of a traditional pie crust you could make this pie in a graham cracker crust.
- If your peaches are super juicy don’t pour them into the pie crust, spoon them into the crust to leave the extra juices behind.
- If your pie crust starts to get too brown on the edges, you can cover the edges of the foil with foil. You can also cover the whole top of the pie if the streusel starts to get too brown.
- Place a cookie sheet under your pie in the oven, this will help catch any custard that might spill over the top. This is especially useful if your pie pan is not very deep.
This peach sour cream pie is a perfect pie to add to the rotation. It’s great any time of the year, and will definitely become a family favorite!
Looking for more pie recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Sour Cream Peach Pie
- 1 9 inch pie crust
For the Pie Filling:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups peeled and sliced peaches
For the Streusel Topping:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cubed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the prepared pie crust into the bottom of a 9inch pie dish. Press it down into the bottom and corners of the dish. Set it aside until needed.
For the Pie Filling:
- Add the sugar, egg yolks, sour cream, flour, vanilla, and salt to a medium sized bowl and stir them together until combined.
- Add half the sliced peaches into the bottom of the prepared pie crust.
- Pour half the custard over the top of the peaches.
- Add the remaining peaches to the dish, and the rest of the custard over the top.
For the Streusel Topping:
- Add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a medium sized bowl. And whisk them together.
- Add the cubed butter to the streusel mixture and cut them together until you have a nice fine crumb.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of the peaches and custard.
- Bake the pie for about 1 hour, or until the custard is set. The inner couple inches can be slightly jiggly, but the outside should be set.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature, then slice it up to serve. If not serving after pie is cooled, keep pie covered in the fridge..