This zucchini bread is a perfect spiced, moist sweet bread that is so delicious, and is the perfect way to use up any extra zucchini.
Having a garden boxes is my favorite – we’ve got a big box that I jammed full of too many vegetable plants, including a pumpkin plant that is trying to take over my whole yard, and I assumed the whole box which meant we wouldn’t get any zucchini. But thankfully to my surprise each day last week I found a new zucchini was ready to be plucked from the plant. That means it’s time for baking!
This zucchini bread is a simple sweet bread recipe, that is made with most ingredients you’ll have at home in your pantry, and if you’ve got a garden with zucchini then you’re ready to go!
This zucchini bread is so delicious, eaten warm as is. Or you can slather a slice of it with some butter. You can also mix in some walnuts, or chocolate chips into the batter before baking, to add a little something extra if you want to!
Ingredients Needed to make Zucchini Bread:
- All purpose flour: The perfect amount of flour to keep this bread moist and soft.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: To help lift the bread and keep it light
- Salt: Just a little to balance out the sweetness
- Cinnamon: To make the bread perfectly spiced
- Vegetable Oil: This helps keep the bread nice and moist. You can also use canola oil, or even melted coconut oil.
- Granulated Sugar and Brown Sugar: To keep the bread sweet, and the brown sugar adds a bit of moisture.
- Eggs: To help bind the bread ingredients all together.
- Vanilla Extract: To add just a little flavor
- Shredded Zucchini: The zucchini adds so much moisture to the bread
How to make Zucchini Bread?
This zucchini bread is so easy to make, and only takes a few minutes to whip together. The only hard part is waiting while the bread bakes.
Start by mixing together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
In a medium sized bowl mix together the oil, and sugars. Then add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Then fold the zucchini into the batter. Scoop the batter into a greased bread pan.
Bake the bread until a toothpick comes out clean. Be warned, that this zucchini bread can take a long time to bake. Mine took almost an hour, this last time I made it. To avoid the top from burning I like to put foil over the top about half way through baking to block a little of the direct heat on top.
Tips for making Zucchini Bread:
- Measure your flour by scooping it by the spoonful into your measuring cup. Then level off the top of the measuring cup with the back of a knife.
- If your zucchini is extra large, cut the zucchini in half and scoop out the seeds. On large zucchinis they get too big and tough to use in the bread.
- You can add up to 3/4 cup of chocolate chips or chopped walnuts, or pecans to the batter before baking.
- Cover the zucchini bread with foil about half way through baking to prevent the top from getting too dark.
- You can also make your zucchini bread into zucchini muffins. Scoop the batter into a prepared muffin tin, filling each spot about 3/4 full. Bake the muffins for 18-22 minutes.
How to store Zucchini Bread?
Zucchini bread can be kept for up to 4 days at room temperature or up to 6 days in the fridge. Keep it in an airtight container, or wrap it in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.
You can also freeze zucchini bread. You can wrap the whole loaf in plastic wrap then place it in a freezer safe bag or container, and store it for up to 3 months. You can also freeze individual pieces of bread by wrapping them individually in plastic wrap, then a freezer safe bag. Thaw them in the fridge overnight.
This zucchini bread is the best way to use up any leftover zucchini you might have! It’s perfect for making all summer long. It’s delicious, and moist, and soft, and perfect spiced, and so, so yummy.
More zucchini recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1 1/2 cups flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x5inch bread pan with nonstick spray.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a medium sized bowl and whisk them together.
- In a medium sized bowl add the oil, and the sugars and whisk them together.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk them into the sugar until just combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir them until just combined.
- Add the zucchini and fold it into the bread.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared bread pan.
- Bake the bread for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs are okay, but no runny batter)
- Remove the zucchini bread from the oven and let it cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then remove it from the pan to cool on a wire cooling rack completely.
This zucchini bread was first posted on July 31, 2012. The photos and blog text were updated for clarity on July 19, 2021.