Although I will admit that I actually do like boxed hamburger helper, with all the preservatives in it, it really isn’t very good for me. And one day when Nate and I were trying to think of what to make for dinner, he came upon this recipe. So we tried it. The first time we made it we even made home made noodles to go in it, making it almost completely homemade (now I just need to grind my own beef, and grown my own spices — we do have parsley, chives and basil growing in a little pot inside)
Anyway, this is the second time we made it and it was delicious. Maybe it was because we were starving, or maybe because we were camping. But it was good. And if you (or your kids) like hamburger helper you should try it too.
1 lb ground beef
1 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups macaroni noodles
1 TBS cornstarch
1 TBS chili pwder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp paprika
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
We cooked this in a pot on the stove the first time, but in a dutch oven the second time. The directions are basically the same.
1. Brown ground beef in a large pot.
2. Once cooked, drain the fat.
3. Add water and milk and spices (spices can be combined prior to making this, or at this point)
4. Stir every couple of minutes until boiling.
5. Once boiling add noodles.
6. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes (until noodles are cooked), stirring occasionally.
7. In the last few minutes of cooking add the cheese.
8. Stir in the cheese and recover the pot for the final couple minutes of cooking.
9. Once noodles are soft, take the pot of the heat and uncover and let stand for a few minutes, to thicken.
I liked mine topped with a little ketchup, but that’s what I do with the boxed stuff too. This was mighty tasty.
What pre-prepared meals can YOU not live without? Frozen, boxed, etc.