Whenever we go out to eat at a burger place I always get the same thing. They have different names, (at Legend’s Grill its the Homestyle Burger, at Carl’s Jr it’s the Western Bacon Cheeseburger, or at Smashburger it’s the Beehive Burger) but its the same basic burger. Bun. Beef. Cheddar. Bacon. Onion Rings. BBQ Sauce. And it’s delicious.
Burgers are a pretty easy thing to make. You get ground beef, and season it however you want. Here is how we like ours to be seasoned. And you cook it. We like ours cooked outside on the charcoal grill, but you can always cook them on a gas grill, George Forman, or even in the oven. And you top with whatever you want.
We like to make really big burgers, but you don’t have to make them as big as we do. We use 1 lb of ground beef for just the 2 of us, but you could probably serve 3-4 people with the same amount.
Here are the amounts we use for each burger:
.5 lbs ground beef
seasonings to taste (salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, onion salt, garlic salt, etc)
2 pieces of bacon
1 slice of cheddar
2 TBS french onion straws
2 TBS BBQ sauce
1 large hamburger bun
1. Form ground beef into patties.
2. Season patties with your favorite burger seasonings.
3. Cook your burgers thoroughly, flipping once near the end to cook on each side. Cook to 140-145 for medium, 150-155 for medium well, and 160-165 for well done. (Once juices start to come out of the meat, this means the middle is getting cooked – we probably cook ours about 12-15 minutes, but remember these are huge burgers. )
4. Cook bacon strips in a saute pan at medium low heat. Flip bacon strips often to cook evenly on both sides, and to reduce shrinking. Cook until bacon is desired doneness. (I like crispy bacon, so about 10 minutes).
5. When burgers are almost done cooking add cheddar slice to the top of the meat. Cook until melted.
6. Build burger by placing meat on the bottom half of the bun, top meat and cheese with bacon, then french onion straws and lastly with BBQ sauce. Close burger with top half of bun.
7. Mmmm. Enjoy.