I can think of absolutely nothing to preface this soup recipe. So I just want to tell you, that this black bean soup is delicious. I got the recipe from Food.com and tweaked it to my liking.
If you want to make the soup vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken. I don’t think their is much of a difference between the two taste wise.
Black Bean Soup
1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 celery ribs, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/4 large bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 TBS jalapeño, chopped
1 1/2 TBS garlic, minced
2 TBS vegetable or chicken bouillon (or 2 cubes)
1 1/2 cups water 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, not drained
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 TBS cornstarch
1 1/2 TBS water
1. Put onion, celery, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, chicken bouillion and water in a large pot together over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
2. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Pour in 1 can of black beans, garlic salt, and cumin into the mixture and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Allow to cool slightly and then puree soup, using a blender, food processor, immersion blender, etc. Return to pot.
5. Add remaining can of beans to the soup.
6. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and then add to the soup. Cook until soup is desired thickness.
7. Top with sour cream and cheese and enjoy.