This post contains affiliate links. We may receive compensation, with no additional cost to you.
With over 600,000 page views and counting, since 2016, this chicken enchilada soup is packed full of flavor with hardly any work! It’s only 10 ingredients, and all made in the slow cooker!
Reader Kelly commented: “Three words…..make this soup!! It is easy and so very delicious. Made it last night and it is better than most restaurant soups!” ★★★★★
If the weather is cooling down where you are, you’re ready to bundle up with a sweater and a big bowl of soup! This slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is the perfect bowl of soup for a cool day!
Why You’ll Love this Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup!
- Pantry Ingredients: This soup is made with ingredients you most likely have in your pantry or fridge/freezer at all times!
- Dump and Go Recipe: Dump everything in the pot and cook until your chicken reaches 165 F.
- Cook in the Slow Cooker or Stove Top: This is a flexible recipe and can be made in 30 minutes, or several hours depending what you need.
Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup Ingredients
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- raw chicken breasts – boneless, skinless chicken breasts will cook up and shred easily in this soup
- enchilada sauce – I like to use red enchilada sauce, but use your favorite, green enchilada sauce works great too, or make your favorite homemade recipe.
- black beans – rinsed and drained
- sweet corn – rinsed and drained
- diced green chiles – these add a nice flavor to the soup, leave them out if you’re worried about the spice level.
- diced tomatoes – I like to use fire roasted diced tomatoes, or a can of Rotel with Green Chiles for extra flavor
- chicken stock – this thins out the soup, and gives it nice flavor
- minced garlic – adds a nice flavor
- salt – adds flavor to the soup, add more to taste at the end of cooking
- cumin and chili powder – these add a nice smoky flavor to the soup
How to make Chicken Enchilada Soup (Crock Pot)
- Add all the ingredients to your crock pot and stir them together to combine. Let the mixture cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F for about 3 to 4 hours on high, or 5 to 6 hours on low.
- Shred the chicken with two forks straight in the slow cooker, or remove the chicken to a plate or cutting board and shred it, then return it to the soup. Stir it all together again.
- Top individual bowls of the soup with your favorite toppings.
Crockpot Enchilada Soup Tips & Tricks
- Add an 8 oz block of cream cheese, cut into small blocks, to the soup for the last 30 minutes or so of cooking, and stir it into the soup to make the soup creamy. Similar to our creamy chicken enchilada soup recipe.
- Use rotisserie chicken instead of raw chicken breast to speed up the cooking time for this soup, and use up some leftover chicken. The soup will only need about 1 hour in the slow cooker with already cooked shredded chicken, but can be stored in the crock pot to keep it warm.
- You can also use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. The thighs will need to cook for about 3 hours on high, or 5 to 6 on low, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Use your favorite red enchilada sauce from the store, or try a green enchilada sauce instead. You can also use a homemade enchilada sauce.
- Skip the diced green chilies if you can’t handle any spice, or make sure to get mild diced green chiles.
- Add a couple Tablespoons of chili powder or Taco Seasoning to add a little more flavor to the soup if desired.
- Add a dash of hot sauce to the soup, or individual servings for a nice kick.
Toppings for Enchilada Soup (Crock Pot)
This soup is delicious, but it is taken to the next level with a few simple ingredients added on top. Here you’ll find some of my favorites:
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- diced green onions
- sour cream
- squeeze of lime
How to Store Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat the leftovers in a pot on the stove top, or in a bowl in the microwave until hot and steaming.
Chicken Enchilada Soup Crockpot Recipe FAQs
This crockpot chicken enchilada soup is the best kind of recipe, because it’s so flexible and customizable. This soup can be made in the slow cooker or on the stove top.
To make the soup on the stove pot, add all the ingredients to a large soup pot and heat it over medium high heat. Bring the soup to a gentle boil, then lower the temperature to medium low. Let it keep simmering and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with two forks. Return the chicken to the soup and stir it all together. Taste the soup and add any additional seasonings as needed, then serve with your favorite toppings!
These two soups are fairly similar, with a few subtle differences. Chicken tortilla soup usually has a thinner base that is more brothy, and often has hominy mixed in to the soup to give it a slight tortilla flavor in the soup. Where chicken enchilada soup has a thicker base with enchilada sauce in it.
This crockpot chicken enchilada soup recipe is the perfect easy weeknight meal! You can throw everything into your crockpot in the morning, and in the evening you have a delicious and hearty soup for your family to enjoy!
More like this crock pot Chicken Enchilada Soup:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Chicken Enchilada Soup (Crockpot Recipe)
- 2 large chicken breasts raw and thawed
- 1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 14 oz can corn drained
- 1 4-7 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice*
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours (or until chicken is cooked through)
- Use two forks to shred chicken.
- Serve hot with toppings, if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will get a very small percentage in commission. There is no extra cost to you. I only link to products I use or own. Your help in supporting us and our blog is appreciated.
Save time and buy online:
- minced garlic
- canned black beans
- diced tomatoes
- diced green chiles
- chicken broth
- enchilada sauce
- slow cooker
- shredded cheese
- squeeze of lime
I have this programmable slow cooker that I love because I can have it turn to warm when the desired cook time or temperature is reached. Its the best!
I think you’ll also like these other slow cooker soup recipes!
You might also like these soup recipes: