Slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is packed full of flavor, with hardly any work, its a meal that the whole family loves.
This post contains references and/or links to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products.
Pin this Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup for Later!
It’s finally starting to cool down in our neck of the woods, with high temperatures in the 80s instead of the 90s and most days in the 70s. That means I’m ready to bundle up in my sweaters, and enjoy a big bowl of soup for dinner. Especially, easy and delicious soup recipes like this slow cooker chicken enchilada soup!
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup?
Add all the ingredients to your crock pot and stir them together to combine. Let it cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F for about 3 to 4 hours on high, or 5 to 6 hours on low.
Shred the chicken with two forks straight in the slow cooker, or remove and shred it on a plate, and return it to the soup.
Top individual bowls with your favorite toppings.
Can you make this soup on the stove top?
This crockpot chicken enchilada soup is my kind of recipe, I’ve made it in the slow cooker and on the stove top. Basically you just throw a few simple ingredients in the pot and let it cook for a few hours.
Plus every ingredient is literally something I always keep on hand in my pantry, with a few of my favorite canned goods, chicken breast, minced garlic and salt. You’ll need canned black beans, corn, diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted to add some flavor), diced green chiles, chicken broth, and enchilada sauce.
Whether cooking in the slow cooker, or in a pot on the stove, you’ll add all the ingredients to the pot and allow them to cook for a few hours. The soup should only need to cook for about 1 hour on the stove top over medium heat, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and shred it up and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
**This slow cooker chicken enchilada soup was originally made in partnership with Cans Get You Cooking as part of a sponsored opportunity with Mom It Forward. All opinions are my own. #CansGetYouCooking
I love canned goods because there’s no washing, chopping, or prep work involved – the food is ready to go and to throw into my delicious recipe. Canned goods naturally seal in the nutrition and flavor of fruits and veggies at their peak of ripeness. But I love that I can easily store them in my pantry to help me get a good home cooked meal on the table for my family. Scroll to the bottom of this post for a video I made, to see how easy this soup really is. Plus my whole family, even my two year old, loves it!
This is the perfect easy weeknight meal, because you can throw everything in your slow cooker in the morning (or afternoon) and in the evening you have a delicious dish ready for you to eat!
Tips and Tricks:
- Add an 8 oz block of cream cheese, cut into small blocks, to the soup for the last 30 minutes or so of cooking, and stir it into the soup to make the soup creamy. Similar to our creamy chicken enchilada soup recipe.
- Use rotisserie chicken instead of raw chicken breast to speed up the cooking time for this soup, and use up some leftover chicken. The soup will only need about 1 hour in the slow cooker with already cooked shredded chicken.
- You can also use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. The thighs will need to cook for about 3 hours on high, or 5 to 6 on low, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Use your favorite red enchilada sauce from the store, or try a green enchilada sauce instead. You can also use a homemade enchilada sauce.
- Skip the diced green chilies if you can’t handle any spice, or make sure to get mild diced green chiles.
- Add a couple Tablespoons of chili powder or Taco Seasoning to add a little more flavor to the soup if desired.
- Add a dash of hot sauce to the soup, or individual servings for a nice kick.
What can I put on top of this chicken enchilada soup?
I love this soup topped with a little shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips. But I also enjoy it with a handful of tortilla chips on the side that I can dip into the soup as I eat it. And it’s one of my husband’s favorite soups as well!
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- fresh cilantro
- diced green onions
- sour cream
- squeeze of lime
How to store leftovers?
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat the leftovers in a pot on the stove top, or in a bowl in the microwave until hot and steaming.
What is the difference between chicken enchilada soup and chicken tortilla soup?
These two soups are fairly similar, with a few subtle differences. Chicken tortilla soup usually has a thinner base that is more brothy, and often has hominy mixed in to the soup to give it a slight tortilla flavor in the soup. Where chicken enchilada soup has a thicker base with enchilada sauce in it.
This chicken enchilada soup is so delicious, topped with a dollop of sour cream. It’s got a delicious flavor and is perfect delicious dinner for busy days!
Looking for more easy soup recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 large chicken breasts raw and thawed
- 1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 14 oz can corn drained
- 1 4-7 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice*
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours (or until chicken is cooked through)
- Use two forks to shred chicken.
- Serve hot with toppings, if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will get a very small percentage in commission. There is no extra cost to you. I only link to products I use or own. Your help in supporting us and our blog is appreciated.
Save time and buy online:
- minced garlic
- canned black beans
- diced tomatoes
- diced green chiles
- chicken broth
- enchilada sauce
- slow cooker
- shredded cheese
- squeeze of lime
I have this programmable slow cooker that I love because I can have it turn to warm when the desired cook time or temperature is reached. Its the best!
I think you’ll also like these other slow cooker soup recipes!
You might also like these soup recipes:
I made this last night using rotisserie chicken. I added a bit of cumin and chili powder. Didn’t have corn, so used hominy – we loved it! Finally added about 4 oz cream cheese toward the end. Delicious! Easy and repeatable! Thank You!