These rolo cookies are basically the best thing ever. They’re like a delicious chocolate cookie stuffed with caramel and sprinkled with a little sea salt on top – for the perfect sweet and salty and chewy cookie, one of the best you’ve ever had.
Now, I’ve made rolo cookies a few times since I first made them a few years ago – every time I make them I wonder why I don’t make them more often, they are seriously one of my favorite cookies.
And maybe even better than these delicious cookies themselves - how easy it is to make them. You see, you start with a box of devil’s food cake, you could probably use any chocolate cake mix, then add some oil, eggs and make a thick dough. Then roll a little dough around a delicious rolo and bake. And of course don’t forget to sprinkle on my favorite part at the end, a little sea salt.
The sea salt adds almost a little crunch, but I just love the contrast it adds to the cookie. The saltiness brings out the sweetness of the caramel and the chocolate. Make sure to get coarse sea salt. I press my cookie tops down every so slightly when they come out of the oven to help the sea salt stick a little better.
And now, another picture of the ooey gooey deliciousness of the caramel in the middle.
- 24-28 rolos
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (or canola or coconut)
- coarse sea salt.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Unwrap all your rolos and set them aside in a small bowl, try not to eat any ;)
- In a medium sized bowl combine your cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil and stir together to make a thick cookie batter.
- Take a small bit of dough and flatten it in your hand and put 1 rolo in the middle. Fold the dough around the rolo and roll into a ball.
- Place 12 cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes, till the tops start to split and they look done.
- Remove from oven and slightly flatten the tops of your cookies with your hand and sprinkle each cookie with just a little sea salt.
Enjoy these sweet and salty and easy cookies!