These rolo cookies are the best ever! They’re a delicious chocolate cake mix chocolate cookie stuffed with gooey caramel and sprinkled with sea salt on top. The perfect sweet, salty, chocolatey, caramel cookie!
I’ve made these rolo cookies several times and every time I do, I wonder why I don’t make them more often.
They’re easy, only 5 ingredients, and are seriously one of my all time favorite cookies.
You see, you start with a box of devil’s food cake mix, you really could use any chocolate cake mix though, then add some oil, and eggs and make a thick dough. Flatten the dough, place 1 unwrapped rolo and roll it all up into a little ball and bake. Don’t forget to sprinkle them with a little sea salt at the end.
The sea salt adds almost a little crunch, but I just love the contrast it adds to the cookie. The saltiness brings out the sweetness of the caramel and the chocolate. Make sure to get coarse sea salt. I press my cookie tops down every so slightly when they come out of the oven to help the sea salt stick a little better.
And now, another picture of the ooey gooey deliciousness of the caramel in the middle.
- 24-28 rolos
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (or canola or coconut)
- coarse sea salt.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Unwrap all your rolos and set them aside in a small bowl, try not to eat any 😉
- In a medium sized bowl combine your cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil and stir together to make a thick cookie batter.
- Take a small bit of dough and flatten it in your hand and put 1 rolo in the middle. Fold the dough around the rolo and roll into a ball.
- Place 12 cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes, till the tops start to split and they look done.
- Remove from oven and slightly flatten the tops of your cookies with your hand and sprinkle each cookie with just a little sea salt.