These Chunky Monkey Pancakes are the perfect pancake flavored throughout with bananas and chocolate chips topped with a banana peanut butter sauce.
I believe I have perfected the pancake with this chunky monkey pancake and sauce. I was truly happy when the pancake batter consistency with just right.
You see I have a love/hate relationship with pancakes. I love pancakes but I hate making them. My pancakes are a bit like the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. They are either too thick – “this bed is too hard” or too thin – ” this bed is too soft” but never just right. Until now!!!!! Chunky monkey pancakes and sauce – oh the Chunky Monkey Sauce!!! – to the rescue. I have finally found the “just right” batter consistency.
While making the chunky monkey pancake batter, my ingredients were separated into two bowls – one dry ingredient bowl and one wet ingredient bowl. I made a well in the dry ingredients to add the wet ingredients into, whisked together until just combined but there were still a few small lumps. I think that is part of the secret of making fluffy pancakes is not to over mix the batter. When I added the mashed banana I lightly stirred it in just enough to mix throughout. I also choose to wait to sprinkle the chocolate chips on the top of each pancake while they were cooking. It seems to be a more evenly distribution of the chips, otherwise the chips usually sink to the bottom third of the batter.
To make the chunky monkey sauce you can either make before the pancake batter or while the pancakes are cooking because the sauce whips up fairly quickly. Don’t hesitate to mix well, as then the mashed bananas are not lumpy and the peanut butter is throughout the sauce. All “just right” for these “just right” chunky monkey pancakes and sauce.
So good, you want these.
- 1 ripe banana - mashed
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 TBS butter - melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 TBS sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl add buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, soda, baking powder, and sugar
- Make a well in the dry ingredients
- Add in the wet ingredients plus the 2 eggs, whisk together just until combined
- Stir in mashed banana
- Use nonstick spray on griddle
- Pour ⅓ cup batter onto griddle to form 1 pancake, sprinkle 6 to 10 chips on top
- Continue pouring pancake batter onto griddle until full leaving 1 inch space inbetween
- Once bubbles form on top, flip pancake
- Continue cooking until pancakes are browned and cooked through on both sides
- Serve warm with chunky monkey sauce or maple syrup
This chunky monkey sauce is just right with the chunky monkey pancakes!
- 2 ripe bananas - mashed
- 2 to 4 TBS peanut butter - depending on taste
- ¼ cup to ⅓ cup whole milk
- Mash the bananas until there are no lumps in a medium bowl
- Stir in the peanut butter
- Add the milk, a little out a time, stirring in between each addition until sauce is pourable (it will still be thick)
- Serve over Chunky Monkey Pancakes