Delicious apple cinnamon muffins topped with a cinnamon crumb topping!
Fall means apples! And we are blessed with two apple trees. Which pretty much guarantees lots of apples every year. It is such a treat to walk out our front door and pick our own apples to eat. We enjoy them fresh off the tree, baked in pies, made into applesauce, and even dried with a dash of cinnamon. These apple crumb muffins is another fantastic way to enjoy all those apples also.
Growing your own apples requires a bit of work. There is the care for the tree with pruning, watering, and feeding. Pruning usually takes place in the fall after all the apples are harvested. Every spring we look forward to apple blossoms and the honeybees busy pollinating.
Once the apples start to grow thinning takes place. Thinning is the removal of too many apples in one spot or on a branch. This is required so the branch is not overloaded and breaks taking all those delicious apples with it plus allowing space for the apples to grow up and bigger. I always feel sad having to thin the trees but I know it is for the best to harvest a bounteous crop of fruit. Craig reminds me it is for the betterment of the tree and the fruit.
And for the betterment of you and me to eat scrumptious baked goods from our apple trees. Scrumptious apple crumb muffins, scrumptious apple scones, or scrumptious apple pies. I love fall! and maybe it is because of the scrumptious comfort food it brings more than the beautiful fall colors. Or maybe it is both. I hope you enjoy these apple crumb muffins.
Apple Crumb Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced apple (peeled)
For the Crumb Topping:
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 3 TBS packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 TBS softened butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease standard muffin pan or line with baking cups for 12 muffins
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, apple spice, and brown sugar
- In a medium bowl, add buttermilk, vanilla, applesauce and egg. Whisk until egg is mixed in.
- Fold in diced apples with the wet mixture
- Gently stir in wet mixture to dry flour and spices, just combine until mixed don't over mix
- Spoon muffin batter into 12 muffin cups
- Sprinkle crumb topping over each muffin.
For the crumb topping:
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon
- Mix in softened butter with a fork until crumbly
- Sprinkle over apple muffins
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes
- Remove from muffin pan and serve
What is your favorite apple recipe?