These apple crumb muffins are baked with apples and applesauce inside the muffins, then topped with an amazing cinnamon crumb streusel topping!
Fall means apples, and apple recipes. We are lucky enough to have two apple trees. Which guarantees we get lots of apples every year. It is so fun to walk out our front door and pick our own apples to eat. We enjoy them fresh off the tree, baked in pies, made into applesauce, and even dried with a dash of cinnamon.
These apple crumb muffins are another fantastic way to enjoy all those apples.
Growing your own apples requires a bit of work though. There is a lot of care for the trees, with pruning, watering, and feeding. Pruning usually takes place in the fall after the apples are harvested. Then every spring we look forward to apple blossoms, and the honeybees are busy pollinating.
When the apples start to grow, then you thin them out to remove some of the apples if there are too many in one spot. This makes sure the branch isn’t overloaded and doesn’t break.
Even though apple trees require a little extra care and time, enjoying the fresh apples off the trees, and baking with them makes it worth it. And thankfully these apple crumb muffins are easy to make.
The only thing that takes a little time, besides waiting for them to bake, is peeling and dicing up the fresh apple to be mixed right into the muffin batter.
How to make apple crumb muffins?
There really are only a few steps to making and baking these apple crumb muffins. First, you’ll sift together your flour, sugar, spices, and baking powder. Then you’ll whisk together the buttermilk, applesauce, vanilla extract and eggs. Third you’ll mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then fold in the diced apples. Spoon the muffin batter into prepared muffin tins. The last step is you’ll mix together the ingredients for the streusel cinnamon topping, and sprinkle it all over the top of each of the muffins and bake them up.
I love to bake with tart granny smith apples, but you can use whatever your favorite apple is. Also don’t worry about there being no oil or butter in the muffin recipe, the applesauce brings plenty of moisture to the batter.
I just know you’ll love these apple crumb muffins as much as we do. They’re a perfect on the go breakfast, or an afternoon snack.
Looking for more Apple Recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Apple Crumb Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced apple (peeled)
For the Crumb Topping:
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 3 TBS brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 TBS softened butter (butter)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease standard muffin pan or line with baking cups for 12 muffins
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, apple spice, and brown sugar
- In a medium bowl, add buttermilk, vanilla, applesauce and egg. Whisk until egg is mixed in.
- Fold in diced apples with the wet mixture
- Gently stir in wet mixture to dry flour and spices, just combine until mixed don't over mix
- Spoon muffin batter into 12 muffin cups
- Sprinkle crumb topping over each muffin.
For the crumb topping:
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon
- Mix in softened butter with a fork until crumbly
- Sprinkle over apple muffins
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes
- Remove from muffin pan and serve
Apple Crumb Muffin recipe first posted on October 24, 2015. Photos updated on November 14, 2019.