These apple cupcakes are easy to make starting with a white cake mix for the base, with just a few tweeks, like adding Apple-Beer, diced fresh apples, and cinnamon.
When I was on my study abroad in Vienna 7 years ago (I can’t believe it was that long ago!) I fell in love with an Austrian drink called Almdudler, its a carbonated drink made from grape and apple juice concentrate, flavored with herbs. When I found Apple-Beer, at BYBC this year, I was so happy because it has a very similar flavor and I can get it locally!
I decided I could make some delicious apple cupcakes using Apple-Beer as the liquid and I was completely right! These cupcakes also have fresh apples in them, to give them delicious bursts of that apple flavor throughout.
The cupcakes are easy to make starting with a white cake mix for the base, with just a few tweeks, like adding Apple-Beer of course, diced fresh apples, and cinnamon. And the result is a perfect apple cupcake. The cupcake itself is sweet, but I decided to top it with an Apple-Beer buttercream to add just a little something extra.
Apple Beer Cupcakes
- 1 white cake mix
- egg whites and oil (per cake mix instructions)
- apple beer (replace the amount of water per mix instructions))
- 1/2 TBS cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups apples (about 2 apples - peeled and diced)
Apple Beer Buttercream
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 TBS apple beer
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Apple Beer Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- mix together your cake mix, egg whites, oil, apple beer, cinnamon, vanilla and diced apples in a medium sized bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Fill liners about 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely
Apple Beer Buttercream Frosting
- In a medium sized bowl, cream your butter until its smooth.
- Add in your powdered sugar, apple beer and cinnamon and beat until fully mixed. (Add a little more apple beer or more powdered sugar if needed for the right consistency)
- Whip for 2 minutes on high till light and smooth.
- Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle tops with cinnamon if desired.
Apple-Beer is a non-alcoholic american drink. The Apple Beer Corporation is located in Salt Lake City.
Their products are primary distributed in the mountain western regions of the United States. But another great thing is that they have a newer product, Apple Beer FIVE which is only 5 calories, but has the same great taste.