Homemade strawberry ice cream is so rich and creamy, with an amazing fresh strawberry taste. Its egg, and cook free, and so easy to make!
Can you tell that I’ve been on an ice cream kick lately? If you follow me on instagram, I’ve been sharing ice cream every day since Saturday. I love homemade ice cream so much, and this strawberry ice cream is a perfect one to add to my repetoire.
I don’t know if its the hot weather (its been in the upper 90s here for the last 2 weeks or so) or the fact that this coming sunday is national ice cream day, but whatever it is I want to eat ice cream pretty much every day all summer long.
This strawberry ice cream is the freshest of fresh. Its so creamy and has the perfect fresh strawberry flavor. You will use 2 cups of diced strawberries, pureed up in a blender to make the ice cream totally smooth. But if you want it a little chunkier, with pieces of strawberries throughout then you can just mash the strawberries with a potato masher, or forks instead.
The ice cream also needs, sugar, heavy cream, whole milk, a dash of vanilla extract and a dash of salt. That’s it. Only 6 ingredients and an ice cream maker later and you’ve got delicious strawberry ice cream. I often like custard based ice creams, with eggs being tempered in to the cooked heavy cream, but this is an eggless strawberry ice cream and you won’t miss it at all, its nice and creamy still, and so easy to throw it all together!
How to make Strawberry Ice Cream?
This is a plan ahead recipe because you need to put your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer at least 12 hours (or more according to your ice cream maker instructions).
When you’re ready to make the ice cream, you’ll mix your chopped strawberries with some of your sugar in a medium sized bowl. This helps the strawberries release some of their natural juices. Then you can blend that mixture up. Blend it as smooth as you want it, though you don’t want the pieces of strawberry to be too big, as they usually get a bit icy.
Then add your strawberries, heavy cream, milk, vanilla, salt, and remaining sugar into a large bowl to mix them all together. Then pour that strawberry mixture into the ice cream maker. Run the ice cream maker according to the manufactures instructions (mine just takes about 30 minutes).
If you want to eat it right away, it’ll be the consistency of soft serve right after its done in the ice cream maker. You can have homemade strawberry ice cream in only about 40 minutes! But I prefer to freeze it for a few hours (or overnight) in a bread pan or ice cream holder for a few hours (or overnight) and you’ve got nice scoopable ice cream, like I have pictured.
The strawberries give the ice cream the perfect light pink color. Its such a pretty pink, but if you want it really dark you’re welcome to add a couple drops of red food coloring to the mix as well.
How to store homemade strawberry ice cream?
You can keep any leftover ice cream in the container that you froze it in, I usually keep mine in a 9x5inch bread pan and cover it tightly with plastic wrap, then with foil.
It will stay good if kept in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I use frozen strawberries? Yes, you can use frozen strawberries, you’ll want to let them thaw first, then chop them up if they’re very large before macerating them in the sugar.
- Do I need an ice cream maker? Yes, you need an ice cream machine to make this recipe. There are several ways to make ice cream with out a machine, so you can attempt one of those with the strawberry cream mixture, but I haven’t tested it out to know how it works.
- Can I use blueberries instead of strawberries? Yes, you should be able to use a variety of fruit, whatever your favorite is – different fruits may need a little more sugar depending on how sweet they already are. Some fruit flavors are also not as strong, but berries should be fine!
- How much ice cream does this make? This recipe makes about 6 to 7 cups of ice cream, or about 12 to 14 half cup servings.
This strawberry ice cream is the perfect summer treat. Refreshing. Sweet. Easy. I promise you’ll love it as much as I do!
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM:
“I would give this 10 stars if I could! A-ma-zing!! Delicious and so easy!” – Kim
“This is by far the best (and easiest) strawberry ice cream I have ever made. Thank you! I need to figure out how to save this for eternity!” – Kelly
More ice cream recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- Mix chopped strawberries with 1/2 cup sugar in a medium sized bowl. Allow to set for about 15 minutes so strawberries release their juices.
- Blend strawberries up in a blender or food processor.
- In a large bowl combine strawberry mixture with heavy cream, whole milk, vanilla extract, salt and remaining sugar. Set aside.
- Pour strawberry cream mixture into prepared ice cream maker. Allow to run according to manufactures instructions (Mine is about 30 minutes.)
- Serve now for soft serve ice cream.
- For scoopable ice cream, scoop ice cream into a bread loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 6 hours up to overnight.
SAVE TIME AND BUY ONLINE: