Enjoy this easy and quick dessert of caramelized pears and feel like you’re eating fancy for the night!
When I have previously thought of caramelized Pears I have thought of it being a long process of making caramel, and baking whole pears for a longer time until they are soft. But this dessert was so easy and quick!
We had pears leftover from our Bountiful Basket from 2 weeks ago. (Bountiful Baskets is a community co-op that delivers produce and other food products at low prices. You can sign up weekly to get a conventional basket that costs 15 dollars, and then they have different add ons available too – tortillas, granola, bread, juicing pack, oranges, strawberries, etc. ) We have gotten the basket before and stopped for a while, but started again 2 weeks ago – there was enough fruits and veggies to last us 2 weeks so we are getting a basket again this Saturday, but don’t need one every week otherwise we would waste a lot with having the fruit and vegetables spoil. Anyway, we got about 10 pears from our basket two weeks ago, but they weren’t quite ripe so we let them sit for a little while. Slowly they have been ripening and we’ve been eating them, but we wanted to try a new dessert with them too.
I thought of carmelized pears and we made our own recipe as we went and made sure to make it extra delicious and extra easy too. Seriously, this dessert only took us about 10, maybe 12 minutes to whip up and bake and then we were enjoying it, just minutes later. That’s faster than a batch of cookies, and maybe even more delicious too. This tastes like a fancy dessert you would get at a nice restaurant, and looks it too, but its really easy and like I said so quick – you would never guess.
- 2 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS sugar
- 4-5 pears
- 1 vanilla bean
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Combine butter, brown sugar and sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often until sugars are melted.
- Set heat to low.
- Scrape your vanilla bean and set seeds aside.
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Cut your pears into 1/4 inch slices.
- Lay 1 layer of your pears into baking dishes (we used 2 oval creme brulee ramekins, about 5 oz each).
- Top each pear layer with a little caramel.
- Line another layer of pears over the caramel.
- Top with a little more caramel.
- Place in oven and bake for about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle vanilla seeds over the top of everything.
- Bake for another minute or two.
- Serve hot topped with vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy this easy and quick dessert and feel like you’re eating fancy for the night!